tone dispair... please help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 20, 2009.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Since you have another horn, do you get the same result? Just curious.

Brightness is funny quality. If you are sharp that can sometimes be perceived as bright. Go to a separate room with the first trumpeter and tuner and take turns playing 3rd space C, and second line G and see if you actually are in tune or sharp.

Spend as much time in the lower register as you do playing the high notes you have been working for. All parts of the range are important, whether or not it has anything to do with your brightness.

If you don't get lessons separate from the class (is it band, or a class?) it would be a terrific idea to hook up with a TRUMPET teacher, if only for a lesson or two. At least that way you'll get a qualified second opinion on the brightness issue.
    veery

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    yea im with a teacher... but it isnt really helping yet... weve done one class, and ive got another this upcoming thursday, i havent been able to play mycolegiate, its outta commision at the moment, however, ive played other horns that have given me great tone... grr... i will tame you you unrully trumpets!

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi itg,
    Bright can sometimes be confused with intonation (sharp). I'd make an appointment with a university trumpet instructor and let them evaluate you.
    "This part is a biggy"
    If you go to the university for a lesson, be sure to take a pencil and pad to jot down the key points. Treat it just like any other class and take good notes. You can then use the notes to direct your practice sessions. Good luck

4. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    ITG,
    It isn't the horn. The mouthpiece could be a problem. A shallow lead-type piece is usually too bright for concert band. Some people have a naturally brighter sound than others. If you fall in that catagory you can compensate with a deeper cup like a 7B instead of a 7C.

Having said that, the real key is your concept. You need to have an ideal sound in your head. The way to develop that is to listen to lots of great players, recorded and live when possible. You need to plant that sound in your head. Use your imagination. When you practice, sit quietly before you start and hear in your head the sound you want to produce and then do it. Play slow scales, songs, vocalises (Concone) and milk every note for the finest sound that you can imagine. Remember the words of the great Yogi: "90% of playing is half mental."

5. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    i listen ALOT, i listen to it when i can, i sometimes try to hear it, but i never thought it would make such a difference... thanks

6. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    It makes all the difference. Do you have any trumpet heroes with a concert or "legit" sound? Like someone who is in a major orchestra or the Canadian Brass, a concert soloist like Nakariakov? Without a concept it's like target shooting blindfolded. A practice reserved for Zen archery masters.

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    big fan of marsalis in his old days when he did stuff like carnival of venice, i saw vizzuti live and it was incredible...

8. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    i agree with ed, switch to maybe a cup size bigger than what you are playing on currently and see if that helps, it worked for me. i was in the same situation as you are, my fellow trumpet players hyped at me and tore me down because my tone was bright and completely different, it helped me, but buzz a lot if you switch to a deep mouthpiece, some people tend to get a little blasty when they switch.

Blake

9. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    yea ive got a 5c and 11b4 so maybe i will switch

10. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Most band directors have no concept of what a trumpet player is supposed to do to "darken" their sound. My first question to you is A: what mouthpiece are you on and B: what horn?

What have you done to try and "increase" your range? If you're pinching your lips more, it would affect your tuning first because it's creating a more rigid passage way for the air.

Let's keep this simple... the H.L. Clarke book says it best... if you keep your lips relaxed and avoid playing too loudly, you can ascend and descend. Keep in mind that a warmer / darker sound will come from opening up your teeth (comfortably) as well as playing down in to the center of the pitch. You can do this by getting a tuner, push your tuning slide in and bend the pitch down in to tune. This will affect tuning as well as timbre.

I cover ALL of this stuff in my book!

Keith
    Welcome to Brass Player Solution