tone dispair... please help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 20, 2009.

1. BenH

BenH Pianissimo User

Oct 14, 2008
    UK
    Just a thought... I may be wrong, but isn't there a story about how Herseth sounded horrible if you were sat next to him, but amazing to the audience? Could it be that the room you rehearse in is a horrible room, and totally mangles your sound? How do you sound in the section playing in a large room? Is it solo vs section that causes the difference, or is it small rehearsal room vs concert venue?

:dontknow:

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    wow guys... thats alot of info, but its all beneficial and im taking it in as i type. i think the term of my problem is "inconsistent tone" or thats what one of my teachers said today. im gonna start doing long tones and slurs in the lower register to help improve my tone, my teeth do seem to be pinched and maybe my throat isnt open enough, but when i try to change, it just feels like im straining, so maybe changing my focus will help. thanks guys

3. Artemisia

Artemisia Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2009
    Austria
    I guess the mouthpiece is to blame because of what you told us about playing solo parts and ensemble parts. Get a mouthpiece that lowers the tone. You've probably got one that rather brightens the tone - usually sounds brilliant when used being a solo artist, but sounds rather nasty to the audience if you're a part of a whole ensemble.

4. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    which one is that lol?? i currently playon a 3c

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    LTG,
    I don't believe what your teacher said is actually the problem. A well supported bright sound will not trash the section blend. A testosterone driven sound regardless of "brightness" will annoy.

I would venture to say that you are trying to prove something every time that you play. That can be a real positive thing if musicality is the goal. Your post tells a different story however.

My suggestion is to forget about hardware. Just make a point out of playing everything softer than the guy next to you. Support, not show! Practice (a lot) more tunes, focus on things beautiful.

We are SERVANTS of the music. I believe the best compliment after a concert is "man, I didn't know that (pick a composer) wrote such great music". Keep that in mind. It has gotten me a lot of jobs in the last 35 years........................

6. Keith Fiala

Keith Fiala Pianissimo User

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Rowuk,

AMEN! Well said...

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    you've got a great point there rowuk, as always, lol, i'll definitly take that into account tommorow... ill get back with you guys and tell you how it goes. thanks

8. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    alright, well heres the update, i played around and found my tone, which required that i push my teeth open and throat, whic gives me a less pinched sound, i guess i didnt have much with what rowuk said, HOWEVER, i am learning to play more quiet within the sound of the group,
    on with the group HUMMMM
    lol got some monk action goin'...