Tone evaluation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, May 13, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, heres a very short clip of me playing on my new mouthpiece and would very much like to hear your opinions of tone quality and overall 'acceptability!' this recording was taken on my phone, yes my phone! and have put some random images to it using Imovie :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance

Peace NYCO10

YouTube

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, NYC!

It's ok! :-) I prefer a less "bright" sound, but not everyone would agree with me. :-P

If it were me, I'd prefer to use a deeper cup than the C cup that I'd guess you were using. :evil:

Where did I get the idea you're playing a 2C with a gold rim? I don't see it mentioned now...:shock: was that someone else's post?:stars: Oh, there it is, at the bottom of your post!

Hope that helps!

Guy

p.s. This kind of tone quality is more what I'm looking for:

YouTube- Scherzer.mp4

GJC

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't normally listen to any of these.

Your mouthpiece and sound settle down after a couple of months of use. Any recording before that is a product of body, ear and brain looking for one another.

The only significant situation is one in the type of room you normally perform in. Why? We create a sound by playing, our ears pick that sound up and tell our brains to make changes until equilibrium has occurred. In smaller rooms, the reflected sound is less than 10ms from the original, our brains cannot decently process the information and the results are unpredictable. There are many research papers on our processing of "early reflections". It is good to read up on that stuff before making recordings.

The best sounding players are the ones with steady access to great sounding large acoustical environments.

4. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi, thanks for the comments, is this acceptable for a 15yr old?

Peace NYCO10

5. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Sounds alright. It sounds to me like you have a pretty good sound concept, but need to spend more time with Clarke (especially when tonguing)...

6. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI NYC!

As I said, it's ok (for any age!)! You're not Herseth, but then, neither am I! :lol:

If you're aim is to play in jazz bands, your tone is fine. It's better than many seasoned adults with whom I presently play!.

I come from a symphonic mindset, and for that, it is my opinion that you're still a bit bright and unsupported sounding. You need to continue practicing diligently, and try not to develop any bad habits on the way to playing higher, faster, and louder. :play:

Play in as many groups as you can. Strive to play in groups where you are one of the weaker players, and then strive to become one of the better players. Improve by watching, and listening to those around you. Use those who are better than you as positive examples, and those who are worse than you as cautionary tales!:cool: Ask for advice and criticism, and accept what ever they throw at you gracefully (and take names, for later revenge! :evil:) (I'm kidding about that last... be graceful, though)

Pretty soon, if you do everything right, you'll be a really good player!

Hope that helps!

Guy

7. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the kind words, at the moment i am striving for my sound to be like my idol Allen vizzutti! :thumbsup: although keeping in mind that i am my own person and we all have our unique sound.

Peace NYCO10:play:

8. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, NYC!

Well, if you want to sound like Vizzutti, I'd say you're more than ok tone wise:cool:. Now you probably need to concentrate on developing strength (not necessarily LOUDNESS), control, and all the musicianship things that you need to be a successful player. :thumbsup:

Just don't let your drive to play higher, faster, louder cause you to lose the tone. I'm not a jazz guy, but I did have to play in jazz band in college, as part of my engineering school tuition waiver. I started out on fourth trumpet, and worked my way up and played lead (like a symphony guy, I'm afraid, and on a C trumpet, to boot! :roll:) my last year. By working your way up, you gradually improve your chops, rythmn, and basic musicianship without overdoing it and messing yourself up! You're young, you have time to develop!! This way, you'll also have a chance to develop your own personal style along the way!

Later!

Guy

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    They must have taken your advice on being the weaker player in a group:lol:

And perhaps some of these adults have been learning for a shorter time than NYC010. One can be 15 and have already a solid continuous 5 years of practice behind him. That's more than what I've got (even not continuous) and it's been a long time since I was 15.

The expectation with adults is that, at some point or another, they were fluent in their playing, like Guy was in college, and are now at some stage of getting "back" there. Not everyone is in that situation. I think NYC sounds pretty good and I wish I would have been where he's now when I was his age.

Keep working at it NYC and don't worry about whether or not this is OK for your age. You already have a great thing in your hands: you can play some and you have an entire life ahead of you. Enjoy. What's important is to have an idea of how you want it to sound like and keep working toward that goal. That's what I try to do.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  10. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, i have been playing 5 years, but no way has it been continuous. I would say that i have only been playing 'properly' for about one year (after a drastic embouchure change) the previous 4 years were years that i was very inconsistent had no practice routine, i joined an orchestra at a very early age (after about a year of playing) and was called upon to play first trumpet. As every trumpet player does i wanted to impress everyone (including the conductor) and this led me on a path of bad habits and chop problems. I am still currently 'ironing out' these problems and am very interested about what other people have to say about my playing.

thanks for the interest

peace NYCO10