Tone! Help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I got you...my point was that when we advise somebody who's having trouble to 'concentrate on their breathing' we mean a lot more than just the act of taking in air.....

bigtiny

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is all great advice, the problem is can you learn to swim well just by jumping in the pool, or are the chances of getting it right better with proper instruction?
    If you don't have a great sound, it is your EARS that need training and the human body uses imitation as its primary tool. A CD recording does not help as our brain does not get the clues that it needs.
    I think Commakozzi will agree, one lesson with a top player will bring more quality into your playing than years of DIY. A couple of lessons..............
    I really think that this is not a 100% self-help subject.
    The first 1/3rd of ALL of the lessons that I give are the basics. I play a long tone, the student plays back. They have my sound in their ear before they play. They have the visual of my posture and breathing cycle. I don't have to describe "sound" or sound production this way. It comes automatically.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2008
  3. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, I only had to hear Tom Hooten play the first couple of bars of Charlier's first etude to understand a whole mess of information about what I was doing wrong with air, attacks, etc. I just had to emulate his sounds as best as I could to fix my problems... ok, they're not quite fixed yet, but I'm closer.