Tone Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Seckse, Jun 24, 2008.

1. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Warming up is a huge factor for producing a good tone. In your practice session try this. Start off by taking out your tuning slide and just buzzing on the leadpipe on your F, concert Eb. Eventually try buzzing an F major scale descending into pedal tone range. Then spend awhile just doing long tones. Starting soft and slowly getting louder and then fade out as you run out of air. Then try slow lip slurs in all seven positions. Focus on tone more than anything throughout the entire warm-up. Focus on producing the best tone you possibly can. You'll be surprised about how your sound starts to open up.

Also, like others have mentioned, start listening to players who have the tone you want. Listen to their sound and every time you play try focussing on getting your tone to sound like them. For me it's always been Chris Botti which brings me to my last point. Look into the Bill Adams trumpet method a bit. As far as tone goes, Bill Adams is the man. http://www.keynotesmagazine.com/article.php?uid=88

Best of luck with everything, trumpet will teach you just as much about life as anything.

2. PSH

PSH Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2007
    Minneapolis MN; Denton TX
    My recommendation would be to pick up a copy of Phil Smith's Orchestral Excerpts for trumpet. Not only is it fun to listen to, but he has probably one of the best tones I have ever heard any trumpet player produce.

3. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    You never have anything nice to say and all you do is criticize ppl. Go work on your muscles. LOL.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008