Tone is progressively getting worse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Aug 9, 2012.

1. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    rested through the week and practiced low tones and my range an tone came back on sunday
    this morning my lips felt great i warmed up played through one of my etudes. Still felt great afterwards

then we went outside to march from 8-10 i made sure not to play AT ALL to see if when i come back inside i would feel great like in the morning

after the 2 hours i came back inside calmed down, made sure i wasn't out of breath, and cleaned my face with a towel

when we started playing it seemed as if my lips were tired and worn out :(
    I DIDNT EVEN PLAY
    the whole practice i had trouble playing my music and i tried to balance rest and play to about 50-50
    didn't help me at all still felt tired

on a normal day when i don't go out side and march i can play for 2 hours before i start to feel tired on my huge 3b mouthpiece

2. rivnut

rivnut Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2010
    Ya, Daniel. It sounds like you are pushing it with the deep cups. I don't blame you for wanting to use these mps under relaxed circumstances, but band Camp. Sounds like boot camp. It'd be way too late to do anything about it this year, but you should take the advice given and prepare for next year, unless you are graduating before then. When things settle down, try working with the shallower cups. If you are anything like me you might hate them but they are tools and they have their place.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    So, let me get this straight. You went outside and marched for two hours while you were faking playing your instrument, and when you came back in you couldn't play hardly at all?

This points out to me that your problems have zippo to do with your mouthpiece or technique or anything else related to playing. It sounds like either you are not handling hydration well with electrolytes (chug some PediaLyte every so often) or there is a physical issue that you need to talk with your doctor about.

Tom

4. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    no im perfectly fine physically its just that i feel tired from outside and it seems to make me sound bad inside when im tired

5. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Sure, I get it. You'll feel less tired if you chug the PediaLyte. :-)

Tom

6. daniel117

Jun 28, 2012
    wouldnt gatorade be just as good?

7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    PediaLyte has more electrolytes in it than Gatorade does. You can try the Gatorade and see how it works.

Tom

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  9. trumpeterjake

trumpeterjake Pianissimo User

Aug 5, 2012
    Connersville, Indiana
    Maybe some of the problem is in your head? Ive noticed with my own playing that if I am looking for something to mess up or go wrong, then things can't go right with that mentality. Sometimes it's subconsious, i'm not saying you have a bad outlook on band or anything. You might be MENTALY tired of playing. After all you went through with this problem you have I would understand if you did. Maybe you shouldn't think about trumpet playing over a weekend or something?

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Ah trumpetmaster the only site where grown men can legitimately argue about cup size and no one bats an eyelid.

I think Jake might be on to something here, I played an inside gig last week and an outdoor one this week and I seeemed to have to work a lot harder this week on the same programme.