Tone is progressively getting worse

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Aug 9, 2012.

1. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Tom,

Hydration well with electrolytes is needed more than people realize. Marching in the hot sun and/or other activity can really drain fluid from one's body. Daniel (and others) in the marching situation should stay hydrated with fluids. It may be likely that the "marching" is also preying upon Daniel's mind in a negative way due to his lip/embrochure complications and pain. He he may need to work through it as necessary to keep up. If all else fails, seeing a medical doctor is usually a good thing pursue to be on the safe side.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Definitely try the 3C and try to back it off a bit. Marching band is really tough on the chops. Your tone will improve once you are no longer overworking your lips. Get through it and give it time.

3. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    ok thank god the hard part is over now

now i march from 5pm-9pm

so instead of marching for 2 hours then play music for 7 hours afterwards now i only march for 4 hours :D

tone is getting better but my lips are starting to get chapped so i'm using carmex

4. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Your post reminded me of an occurrence out on the road some 35 years or so. During another cold winter while staying in motel somewhere around Nashua, NH. Do they ever have wamr winters? No.

Anyway the bass player Steve and guitarist Keith both have chapped lips but no remedy available. So Steve says:

"Lets ask Local for Chapstick. He's a trumpet player and so he MUST have some".

Wrong! I explain that after three years playing four sets of hard, loud trumpet music five nights a week my lips are like steel. Could almost kiss a frozen car bumper at 20 below zero with no ill effect. Damn I had some CHOPS back in those days...

However i didn't develop those chops over night. If Daniel tries to do this too quickly he will surely get a set of over trained chops. By the way I used a Bach 3C during most of those gigs back then. Almost the size of Daniel's 3B. However I worked into that large m/piece slowly. First six months was on a screamer piece. Then went down to the Bach 7C and last of all the 3C. I wouldn't use a 3C today because the rim is too sharp for aging upper lip.

We want everything now but it doesn't work that way. Better to play a little seven days a week than bust your chops for three days and have to rest another three.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You'll want to not use the Carmex. It's great for everyone else. You? Not so much. It's numbing the feeling, which you don't want.

Tom

6. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Daniel, gotta go with the Vet here. My personal preferences for lips are Lizard Lips, which I haven't been able to find lately (check Rite Aid) or Chop Saver. Chop save has a ton of emmoilents to moisturize and also some ingredients to ease the inflammation. Comes in both regular and with sunscreen. Seriously, you don't want to sunburn your lips on top of it. Glad to hear things are getting better for you. Keep it up.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    CHOP-Saver!!! YES!!!

8. daniel117

daniel117 Pianissimo User

Jun 28, 2012
    been talking to my private teacher and he made me play on a euphonium mouthpiece for about 10 mins to "relax my inner lips" afterwards he told me to play my chromatic scale from low f# to the highest i can

got to the high c, but the weirdest thing was that it felt.......relaxed. I didn't feel as much tension going up as i normally do. Then he gave me one of his euph mpcs (he has hundreds lol)
    told me i should try playing on it before and after i play trumpet

im a little worried it "MIGHT" mess with my embouchure tho. Anyone else ever try this method before?

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Not exactly, but I doubled on baritone many years ago and I don't recall it messing things up with trumpet. I suppose, however, there is a limit to the amount of work your chops can absorb, whether it is trumpet or otherwise.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Fascinating! Your private teacher shows you hands on what the problem is (not relaxing), and it works right in front of your eyes! Voila! Problem solved and you get a routine to train your lips to relax. An 80+ post thread full of varying solutions (some in doctoral thesis form) from players all over the globe who tell you to go see you're teacher (because we can't see you) and stop over analyzing. NOW, you are questioning the teachers wisdom?? I don't get it. How do you think we can improve on your teachers hands on advise???? :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: