Tone Issues

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pmkt16, Apr 3, 2005.

1. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    Manny,

My tone as of late has become more strident than it normally is and I have been trying to fix it but with limited results. I have an audition in a few days and while I am hoping I can make some progress by then I am just as concerned with the long run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    long tones baby

and lip slurs with whole notes

and some clark wouldnt hurt either

3. sublmbadfish

sublmbadfish Pianissimo User

Jul 9, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hey man

Good luck on that audition...its a really relaxed setting so dont freak out like i did.

I agree with trumpet girl...I think most of my good tone came from clark work. But also look at your breathing and make sure to support and breath well in that room.

GOOD LUCK

Steve

4. trumpetgirl612

trumpetgirl612 Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2005
    practice room 5
    good luck with that audition man

Emily

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    As you have an audition looming you are probably a bit concerned about it and tightening up your trumpet-playing body parts. That's making you overuse tongue arching (as many do) and it's narrowing your tone.

Focus on using a lower syllable like TOE or TOOH for your playing and you'll be fine. You'll also notice that you've probably been doing a bit of hissing on the inhale. That'll brighten things a bit more than you want also.

Sing your audition pieces using the low syllables I've described just before you practice the pieces you're presenting and you'll see a difference right away.

Play well.

ML