Tone Quality

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Arcanemage, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Arcanemage

Arcanemage New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    I was wonering.... apart from the amount of air to the precise type of tounging, to breathing deeply, to the correct ombeshure is there anything else I can do to check my tone? I can't seem to make my tone right and I feel like I'm doing all of the above right!!!:-(

2. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    One of the first things you need to work out is what is your ideal trumpet sound? Listen to some of the greats and learn from their sound. Listen deeply - what do you like about their phrasing? Is it a dark sound, or a bright sound? How's their articulation? Listen critically and decide on what you want to sound like. This will help you set a more concrete goal - it's one thing to improve, and quite another to improve with a specific end result in mind.

Other than that, go back to ground and practice your fundamental work. Mouthpiece buzzing can help you get more clarity out of your sound - try to get the mouthpiece buzz down to a single, clear pitch - cut out all the extraneous fluff and other pitches. Support your tone with deep, deep breaths from the absolute bottom of your lungs. Make good attacks on your notes too - practice all kinds of articulations, from breath attacks to double tonguing if you can.

Another thing that will help your overall sound is to play in tune as much as you possibly can.

I'm sorry I'm not of a whole lot of help here, but it's like Miles said - "Sometimes you have to play a long time to play like yourself." Keep at it. Remember that recognizing your faults is the first step to improvement.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Record yourself and check out what you hear. Then, go from there.

4. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't get this place anymore. Here you give this advice, (which is good advice) and in another thread your asking for advice on getting the sound you want. I took the time to give you advice and here you already know it. What the ....

5. RB-R37297

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Well, to be fair, I'm looking for a darker sound in that topic. I already worked through fluffy sound issues extensively with my teacher, so that's where my "expertise" (pffft - as much expertise as a high school senior can have) lies.

6. Arcanemage

Arcanemage New Friend

Aug 23, 2009
    It's all right. The information that you've provided me with right now is substantial and enough for me to have something to work on. Thank you so much. As for my ideal trumpet sound, I'm going for a sharp piercing sound that is both resonating and vibrant while synonymously being pure and clean.

I'm going for the fanfare type tone. I hope this was descriptive enough.

7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I just finished reading all of your posts. Based on what I read I think you are fake. I don't know why you would want to be a fake. A lot of what you wrote is good stuff.

None the less, I don't believe you are what you say.

8. RB-R37297

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I'm not fake.

The only time I feel comfortable offering advice is when it's something that my jazz director (who plays trumpet and used to teach it privately) or my private teacher has told me about trumpet. Anything past that and I can still find my way around decently well with my own personal thoughts, but I wouldn't ever give my own personal thoughts as advice to someone who wants it here simply because there are other people here who can probably do a lot more for them. Case in point - I know very, very little about how to darken a sound. Conversely, I know a little about how to work out impurities in tone because I had to work at that and I actively sought the advice of my jazz director and my trumpet teacher in order to fix it. I will probably wind up doing this again for this bright sound issue I have.

I'm a twelfth grader going to school in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm applying to the Faculty of Music at the U of Manitoba. My audition will be in February, and, God willing, I'll get in. This is the truth. There's nothing more I can say or do to convince people otherwise.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I asked this on another forum, and I'll ask it here... what is the obsession with making a sound darker? It's a trumpet! It's going to sound like a trumpet. If your sound isn't dark, then you need to change your horn or your mouthpiece, because there's only so far your embouchure will change.

Or, I dunno, you could just play with the sound you have.

Tom

10. RB-R37297

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Now we're getting off topic. A topic I made is sort of overlapping into here.

To put this "dark sound" thing to rest - I'm mostly looking at the player-sided aspects of darkening sound. I know there are mouthpieces and horns that play darker, but for now, I'm just looking at what I can do on my equipment to get a darker sound.

Anyways...getting back to tone quality...