Tone Quality

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DannyHF, Feb 3, 2014.

1. DannyHF

DannyHF New Friend

Jan 29, 2014
    Maryland
    I am currently in high school, and I play in my school band, orchestra, and jazz band. As of this year, I am the lead trumpet, so I have been spending a lot of time trying to expand my range on my horn. I have been pretty successful so far, and I've gone from being unsure on Ds above the staff to playing F#s now. When I first started working on my range primarily, my tone became extremely bright, even on low notes. I've tried to balance my practice routine with more of my exercises in the low ranges as well, and now I can play with a darker sound when I try to on most notes. My tone cuts a lot now though, and I have always been loud as a player. This is great for my Jazz band, but I still have to focus on orchestral, band, and solo work. I am really happy with my mouthpiece and my trumpet (I play a Conn Vintage One and a CKB 1 1/2 C mouthpiece, so its not a small or shallow one either), and I'm not looking to change either right now. What kind of exercises can I do to increase my versatility, both high and low? I'm really looking for the ability to play dark tones throughout my range without losing the ability to cut when I need to.

2. Jamesd1196

Jamesd1196 New Friend

Sep 11, 2013
    The biggest things that have helped me with range are doing a but load of lip slurs everyday, James thompsons buzzing book, and pat sheridans breathing gym. Lips slurs give you the flexibility you need, the buzzing book gives you emborchure efficiency, and the breathing gym gives you the air power needed to support the upper register... Hope this helps

3. DannyHF

DannyHF New Friend

Jan 29, 2014
    Maryland
    Thanks, I'll look into those books.

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Great advice on lip slurs.

Also I found a ceiling at High G to High A (still working on it). This is a good resource to allow your mind to think about what you are doing,
    Free trumpet lesson videos by yamaha artist Greg Spence. the videos cover many trumpet related topics discussing technique, range, articlation, high notes, endurance and great trumpet information for beginner trumpet players to learn how to play the
    Free trumpet lesson videos by yamaha artist Greg Spence. the videos cover many trumpet related topics discussing technique, range, articlation, high notes, endurance and great trumpet information for beginner trumpet players to learn how to play the

Hope it helps.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Lip slurs and air flows are what you are looking for. As for lip slurs, don't go in one singular direct, doing so has a tendency to tighten and brighten you up. Try going up a partial twice in one direction, down one in the opposite and up a partial twice again in the original direction.

Like so: Start at Low C, up to G, up to middle C, down to G, up to middle C, up to E and at the end slur down to low C. Expand it, do it it all directions and focus all the notes.

Lip buzzing and air are also your friends.

6. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Lip slurs are always good.

Something to think about. People play with their oral cavity in a certain way. For example, you can play with an "ah" sound or an "oh" sound or an "ee" sound.

You might examine your playing and see whether the vowal sound you're using is changing when you're not aware of it.

Tom

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Lip buzzing?

LIP BUZZING?!

Almost never, I think. Might as well play air guitar.

Tom

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    For dexterity I like Arban's pg 125
    I have found that a strong attack seems to brighten up the tone.. check to see if you are playing in an aggresive fashion.
    Also .. I agree that different vowel sounds, concerning airflow, affect the tone... ee = bright ..ooh = more dark ( for me).

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pedal tones and soft longtones. Too bright or laser like sound might be you pinching. Pedals will help you relax your chops. You could also look at a deeper cup and different backbore (same diameter though) for your mpc.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Danny,
    You asked:
    "What kind of exercises can I do to increase my versatility, both high and low?
    --
    Scales, arpeggios, and lip slurs.
    --
    I'm really looking for the ability to play dark tones throughout my range without losing the ability to cut when I need to.
    --
    That's a little tougher. Generally, the sound we have is the sound we have. Just like I can't sound like Jame Earl Jones, I don't think you can sound like Miles or Jensen. Wynton once said that trumpet players fall into one of two camps, bright sounding players and dark sounding players. A few can have both bright and dark (Louis Armstrong) but they are very rare.
    Some would say that if you lower your jaw a little, that will help. As for me it doesn't. When I want a darker sound, I use a dampening ring. That way I can go from me to a darker sounding version of me.
    Dr.Mark