Tone Quality

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DannyHF, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Evergrey_rocks

Evergrey_rocks Piano User

Aug 18, 2013
    Dropping your jaw will solve the brightness (I had to deal with that issue last semester).

Now for CKB mouthpieces, they are made to project. I have 2 Acoustibalance 3C's from them and I can cut like no other trumpet in the region. I literally filled up the whole room more than the region band did; They played at like fff and I was around fffff and a real dark, definite clear tone that covered up the rest of the region band. I'm telling you this because you need to be aware of your power on the CKB mp's. If you took a Bach or Blessing MP and tried to play as loud as you can, the tone will split before you can even reach about 38-45% of the volume the CKB can give you (while still sounding full and rich). CKB mp's are awesome, but you need to be aware of your great tool.

2. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I played a CKB 1.5C on and off for about 2 years in high school and I used believed this to be true and while yes, the added mass means more energy in the horn. But if you can only reach 38%-45% of your max volume on a standard mouthpiece, you have serious inefficiencies in your playing.

FWIW I would venture to say most pro players use a standard weight mouthpiece and have little to no volume issues.

3. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas

I hear air trumpet is all the rage these days ;)

4. DannyHF

DannyHF New Friend

Jan 29, 2014
    Maryland
    Yeah, the CKB actually came with my horn, and I hadn't played it very much until this year. I used to play a Bach 3C primarily, but the rim started to feel small for me so I pulled out that mp to give it a shot. I've been playing it for about a year now and I really like the tone of it, its just with my practice regiment lately it's been getting brighter. I have a Bach 1 and I play on a similar mp on my cornet to that, and I've never had any volume issues with either of them. I tried playing the Bach 1 to see if it was the mouthpiece before, but I get a very similar tone out of both, so I think I just need to practice more.

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    There's nothing wrong with "brighter" if it means "my tone now includes lows and highs". There is a strange obsession with playing a trumpet darkly that frankly confuses me. My own teacher, a professor and professional player, does not tell me to darken my tone; on the contrary he praises me when my tone includes more brilliance.

Tom

6. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    I recommend this ---> http://www.bflatmusic.com/schlossberg.html

Comes with a CD of Clyde Hunt playing the drills. If you've not a Schlossberg in your trumpet library, perfect time to add it.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've never understood the "darker" mentality either. I've not heard a beginner that ever sounded bright. Most sound blatty! I agree with Tom. Sounds like your chops are getting better. If you want darker, get a cornet or darker still a flugel.

8. DannyHF

DannyHF New Friend

Jan 29, 2014
    Maryland
    I have a cornet that I really enjoy playing on, and I get a much richer sound out of that. I love the bright sound that I play the trumpet with right now, but at this point in my life, most of my playing comes in a school band or orchestra, and my tone cuts much more than anyone else in the band, even the other trumpets. So my main concern is blending with the group, not just a desire to have a darker tone. I think its just something that needs more practice time than I was giving it. I love the brilliant sound when I play Jazz in our school big band, and playing for my own enjoyment or just alone in general.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I understand the cutting tone because I have that. It comes in real handy when I play 2nd or 3rd parts in the concert band. You can always hear the harmony. If I already mentioned it, sorry, but you can use a deeper cup to darken your sound. Stay with the same rim diameter. You could even try a symphonic backbore in conjunction with a deeper cup.

10. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Bud Herseth had a pretty bright sound and he blended just fine. Your attributing qualities to dark and bright that aren't exclusive. A "dark" sound can penetrate and a "bright" sound can blend. If you're cutting through you're probably just not listening well enough to blend.