Tone seems "airy"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Svannim, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Svannim

Svannim New Friend

Apr 20, 2011
    Lately my tone has sounded a bit "airy" meaning that all of the notes I play seem to have a little bit of a sound like blowing air through the horn behind them as I play them. I this an equipment problem (I play on a Yamaha 7c mouthpiece) or otherwise? I've hypothesized that, since I play french horn as well, I've gotten used to using a whole bunch of air to produce good tone due to the depth of the french horn's mouthpiece and now use a bit more air then required on my trumpet. Thanks in advance.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    wasn't this question answered on another post? maybe it was someone else ((Yes it was Saile)). I would say long, soft tones -- around 2nd line G (in the staff) and a few notes either way. focus on a clean sound. Realize that this may take a few weeks to achieve.
    Play the note as long as you can hold a good clean sound -- then rest as long, and of course repeat until you get tired
    give it some time, try not to get frustrated ---that's my opinion.

keep in mind you should have the aperture (lips) closed enough to feel vibration and yet open enough to get good sound -- it takes patience and concentration --hope that helps

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011