Tongue always raised

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dajmmannen, Dec 15, 2015.

1. dajmmannen

dajmmannen New Friend

Dec 7, 2015
    I recently changed my embouchure, and while this greatly improved my tone, it also caused a lot of problems.

Many others here are saying that they feel like they have a lot of "tension" in their throats. I feel the same, and I think I have been able to find the cause. In whatever range I'm playing, the back of my tongue is pressed against the roof of my mouth, blocking the air. I'm not really aware that I'm doing this, and I can't stop doing it!

It might sound like this isn't really a problem, but it causes my neck to pop out at all times, and playing louder or higher causes the neck to pop a lot. I think that this "technique" is keeping me from extending my range, since any range increase causes me to raise the tongue even more, and at some point I'm fully blocking the air.

I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard of anyone else suffering from this, and if anyone knows of a way to fix this. I've had several teachers look at this and no one knew how to fix it, I just want to be able to play properly again.

I appreciate any tips/help!

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Check out Pops trumpet lessons help trumpet players learn to play trumpet effortlessly., Pops McLaughlin's site, for Tensionless Playing. You want tongue arch, but forward, not in the back. If you work on having it forward I think you will loose the back blocking you are getting. Sometimes players get the "grunts" which is actually what you are describing with the throat closing. Good luck!