Tongue Arch?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Oct 7, 2012.

1. TrumpetSaiyan777

TrumpetSaiyan777 New Friend

Dec 4, 2011
    So recently I've really been trying to understand this tongue arch concept so I can apply it to my playing as a Lead Trumpet in my school. I also figured it was a concept you might need to develop with time away from the Trumpet, but I can't arch my tongue towards the roof of my mouth at all even without a mouthpiece on my face. I can arch it downwards, but no luck at all otherwise.

I'm not sure if something's just wrong with my natural tongue position or if you need to really work on that. I'm being really patient with this and I'm excited to start practicing this once I can just start to arch my tongue the way I need to. Any help? :play:

2. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Try whistling. That's all about tongue arching. It's also how I learnt how to shake.

3. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Indeed, try whistling, it works. And it does support your high register.

4. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    Even if you can make it work for whistling, making it work on the horn is another story. I have always been able to do this easily with whistling. It has no impact on anything when I do it playing the horn. If I ever figure it out, I'll share with the world.

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    okay, let me preface this comment with a statement ...
    I have always had a problem when I made an effort to use more tongue arch. I know I used it to some extent but I never felt like it had as big of an effect as it should. Sometimes it felt like zero effect and I could basically do anything with my tongue and still play.
    So after months of soft long tones and reducing the size of my aperature ... then more relaxed breathing and less tension in my embrouchure .... my air stream became more focused and then the sort of "sssss" tongue shape had an effect on by ability to move around the horn.
    So my thought is that if the air stream is more focused the tongue comes in to play more.
    It seems pretty similar to what the OP is talking about ....
    yes? no?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  6. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    What do you mean by "reducing the size of my aperature", because for the rest I can agree with you, but I don't get that bit. (No native speaker, sorray)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Keep Tongue (A) out of the way of Air Flow (B). That IS what you need to do with your tongue. Go ahead, arch you tongue and blow. See A is in the way of B. Now if you have a problem with achieving this, consult me through your medical provider, and I will tie it down for you.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Snow White had the right idea... Whistle while you work...

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One of Hickman's studies that I shamelessly steal is the use of the flutter-tongue. If we can flutter-tongue a note, our tongue is in the correct position. Simple as that, except for those that can't flutter-tongue (there are some).

The aperture, the opening between our lips when playing, is smaller at very soft dynamic levels and playing high notes than the opposite--barking out low notes for example. If we can play whisper quiet, so quiet that the sound is kind of trapped in the bell, the aperture is small, and that takes (and builds in a very gentle way) strength.

Never tried flutter-tonguing at pppp, though.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I really like that flutter tongue idea