Tongue Arch?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetSaiyan777, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Ric232

Ric232 Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2009
    Coastal GA
    WTH? Maybe try it w/o the sarcasm so perhaps those of interested in improving might actually learn something. I honestly cannot tell whether you are recommending the tongue arch or saying it is useless.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Keep your tongue out of your arch. It IS getting in the way. If it is getting in the way, it can be surgically corrected (if this is an anatomical problem). I am a physician. I know these things. No sarcasm, just fact.

This was an experimental suggestion, again not sarcasm: "Go ahead, arch you tongue and blow. See A is in the way of B." Do this and let me know how the air flow feels to a finger held just in front of your lips. Then try to relax your tongue to the floor of your mouth and try it again. What happens to your air flow? If you cannot relax your tongue, you may have a frenulum problem and this may need to be surgically corrected by a frenulectomy which will release your tongue and allow it lay passively on the floor of your mouth. [not actually tying it down but more like relaxing the tongue to the floor of the mouth]

Hope this clarification helps.

3. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi All,

Drinking a bottle of whisky causes tongue to lie passively on floor of mouth.

Included, with passive tongue, nasal passage constriction apparently causes rumblings

worthy of mention.

My frenulectomy can wait a bit. Maybe have to practice a bit more............

H.LClarke..........H.L.Clarke..............hours later............. H.L. Clarke..........

I must, I must, increase my bust.........breath........breath........ H.L.Clarke.

Cheers

Paul.

4. peteski

peteski New Friend

Jan 6, 2017
    brilliant ... get the tongue out of the way worked wonders for me, thank you!

5. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Get yourself a skype lesson with Adam Rapa. He can explain the arched tongue concept within minutes so that it works at once. He did it for me.

6. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    To get the idea of "arching" your tongue to change air flow, I think of saying the syllables "Taa-Eee," with the "Eee" part arching the tongue toward the soft palate. This helps ME with lip slurs and range. I combine more air, slight tongue arch, and a smaller, more focused aperture, for upper register playing.

This, of course, is just how I do it - not necessarily how it should work for everyone.