Tongue Controled Embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MJ, Jun 20, 2006.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
  2. Dustin

Dustin Pianissimo User

Jun 19, 2006
    West Virginia
    hahahahaha

That's ridiculous.

:D

3. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Now I know what I've been doing wrong my whole life. This unlocks an entirely new set of standards for me.

The bar has been...
    -T

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    You may laugh, but check out that article entitled The BBC Symphony Orchestra Trumpet Section from the September 1995 ITG Journal, Page 10:

• The principal trumpet is Bill Houghton, who took up his post in 1980 after the resignation of John Wilbraham. Bill was given his first trumpet by his father as a consolation gift following a nasty accident to his finger when Bill was eight years old. He initially started on his own and adopted the first embouchure that produced recognizable sounds, and has stuck with this set-up ever since. Nothing unusual about that until you look closely – Bill’s bottom lip is completely replaced by his tongue, which could explain why he never seems to tire!

Whoa! It's amazing what a player can accomplish given a strong mental concept of the proper sound!

5. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Let's try not to ridicule any pedagogies here. That said I really do want to hear what Jerome Callet sounds like... the opinions have ranged from his playing sounds concentrated and brilliant to his sound is akin to skinning a cat alive.

6. gtromble

gtromble Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2005
    Suffice to say - the embouchure demonstrated in the video is NOT the Callet TCE.

GT

7. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.
    "sound is akin to skinning a cat alive."

Hearing him play told me all I needed to know.

8. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Reminds me of summer '98 when I was marching with the Green Phantoms. The lead sop. had a quasi TCE set up and he could really set the night on fire with his dubba. What a great summer. :cool:

9. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Sorry T,

I see a dude playing with his tongue like that I'm going to laugh.

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I think if Jerry saw that he'd laugh, too. He has a good sense of humor. We use to all do imitations of Vacchiano setting up to play and it was done for him at a "Roast and Toast" in NYC many, many years ago. My section teases me all the time about this silly, subconcious thing I do with my hands when I release notes in certain contexts.

We have to be able to laugh at ourselves a bit, I think.

ML