Tongue controlled emboucher -Spit buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Has anyone tried this method ? seems like he is implying that most great players use this and that it's a cure -all for high register ?
    I have messed with it a bit and to me it seems like it's loads more work then just playing with the tongue out of the way ?:dontknow:

Ideas? comments ?

Master Superchops Jerome Callet Disc 1 - YouTube

Dean-0

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Jerry Callet is a fine craftsman (my B[SUP]b[/SUP] piccolo leadpipe is awesome) but not the most gifted of pedagogues. He has a handful of disciples who swear by his methods. On reflection, yeah, my tongue supports my lower lip when playing high, but jeez, if I thought about my tongue and all that while playing, I would screw myself up big-time. I simply play, reflect, and learn by emulating my own mistakes.

A good read is Tim Galloway's The Inner Game of Tennis and he has a nifty way of describing us humans in two ways. There is a part of us that is critical and nagging and all that and another part that simply does.

To me, Callet's method is on the verge of madness, and I counsel folk to simply do. Flexibility, range studies, all that stuff. Play and listen. Goof off sometimes and learn what works for you.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not good. I got there without EVER doing this. Look at the muscle use out to the angle of the jaw. This is dysfunctional muscle use. Muscle that doesn't need to be developed is being over used, stretched to an un-natural state. I will go one up on VB, this is not on the verge of madness, this is madness.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I tried something similar to this a few years back. I got things to the point that it was comfortable, but it just wasn't right for me.

For me, I felt it was better to have my tongue in a more natural position. In addition, for me, I don't believe it's good to have my tongue anchored in only one position for every type of playing.

Mike

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I tried it! It tickled my tongue and it made me laugh cause it was sooooo ridiculous! Longtones will do more for your range than TCE.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In medicine, keeping your tongue in neutral is definitely a virtue. We can learn a lot from TrumpetMD. Thank you good doctor.

7. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Piano User

Mar 4, 2005
    Lots of guys support their lower lip with the tongue,especially in the upper register, even Reinhardt guys. TCE could probably work as well as other systems but Callets books are useless. I was interested in his stuff a few years ago as was my teacher. I got Callets SuperChops book and his TCE book. Both books have bit of description followed by a large amount of excerpts and exercises with absolutely no instruction about how to use the exercises. In other words they are useless from the pedagogical standpoint. As far as TCE I tried it and got it to work but the sound could curdle blood at 50 paces. I was told that that could straighten out with practice but I ( and my teacher) gave it up. Not for me.

8. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I don't know a great deal about Callet's teaching but what does worry me is a guy who for a few years teaches one "expert"way to master any instrument then all of a sudden comes up with a new way. I may be doing Mr Callet a diservice but its a great way to sell books and lessons to a group of naive people who will grasp at any straw to improve their playing.

9. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Thanks guys it's good to get perspective from all the people here who know so much:D

one thing that i wondered about was: he used very experienced people to show the process in the video ,not a bad thing but i wonder how long after this they still played with a TCE?

As for me i cant seem to understand what exactly the improvement is? i see they use less pressure but i haven't really had that problem for a while now,and overall i think it's going to get better as i continue to play ,and more range would be a good thing ,,,but really, his tooting around below the staff just sounds crazy,i haven't seen music scored that low anyway?

Dean-0

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Actually Daen 0 I think you have hit on something here I suspect most real pro players play with very little pressure anyway, I may be wrong but I suspect Mr Callet has a technique that works for him and a great publicity machine. One thing I don't like about a lot of embouchure pedagogues is the belief that their way is the only or even the best way. I believe that every, literally every, embouchure is different and a good teacher works within the bounds of good practice (ie low pressure, good support, tight but not pinched corners and a relaxed inner lip) to get the best out of a student without imposing a personal style or theory or fad.