Tongue issue

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DISHOA, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Chet fan sez:
    I do not get this. You said several times that you are not proffessional musucuan, that you do other things to make living. Yet you have students. I find it odd that amateur musician teaches.

Please do not take any offence form this, it was not ment. It is not that I am questioning your teaching ability, on contrary I think you have been dishonest ot us regarding your proffesion. I think you are profesional musician, but for some reason you would like us to think otherwise. Its ok, I just cannot figure out the reason.
    -------------------
    Chet Fan, I hate to disappoint you but it appears that rowuk is somehow affiliated with the Pintu tribe of the lower Congo. Rowuk spelled backwards is Kuwor (others have noticed this) which is their native language.
    I agree that Rowuk probably has made money playing trumpet. However, I doubt he's doing it in Germany. He's probably making money teaching and playing professionally in the Congo which has an active music culture.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is basically simple (I have posted this before). I feed the family with a full time non musical job as a systems analyst and feed my hobbies with the trumpet. I have had 50+ paying concerts/year for the last 30 years (with some years more than doubling that). I have been teaching for over 30 years. I studied music majoring in trumpet at a name brand school in America during the mid 70s. I live and play mostly in Germany, but I am sponsoring 5 native African children in Zimbabwe so that they can go to school and make their country a better place to live.

I do not brag about my credentials, mouthpieces or horns because I don't think that it makes any difference on an internet forum. My rants should stand on their content not some imaginary qualification that someone reads into a title. If you find what I post useful, come back for more. If not, we have a great ignore feature at TM.

3. DISHOA

DISHOA New Friend

Mar 31, 2010
    Cornyandy: my tongue touching the upper lip as part of tonguing, is it problem?

4. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    don't get wrapped around the axle about "pro" vs "amateur" anyway, there are plenty of "amateurs" that could blow with any "pro" I've ever heard. For many, it's a choice, not an indication of playing ability.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've always thought if you earn more than 25% of your income playing a musical instrument or teaching about a musical instrument, you could consider yourself to have professional ability ... the rest of us are amateurs ... and yet many amateurs have all the training and skills to become professional but choose not to for various reasons ... mostly because there is no financial security in doing so and not a very stable family relationship with all the travelling necessary. It's more pleasure to enjoy music without concern for what income is achieved from it.

6. Mark Green

Mark Green New Friend

Mar 3, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska USA
    I agree with Rowuk and others who know that the "American orthodox" prescription of tip of tongue striking just above the upper teeth is not necessarily the correct way. In fact for you DISHOA it is possible that this is the WRONG way, depending on your own mouth and airstream. Maybe just maybe you will find something useful from the late Doc Reinhardt's classifications of tongues and tongue striking technique. Another forum has a Donald S. Reinhardt forum that has links to good resources. One particularly good resource (includes a few pictures of different embouchure types) is An Introduction to Donald S. Reinhardt's Pivot System.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One key to good tonguing is to let the tongue relax, to let it melt in your mouth. We all have the inborn thought that "for clean, crisp tonguing I need a firm (if not hard) tongue." That isn't how it works: make "relaxed but working" your mantra for all physical activity, (except perhaps professional wrestling, where muscle tension helps protect you when getting hit by a chair).

As for speed, make your tongue tired every day using the above technique--at some point it should slow down like a car running out of gas. Do that daily and the speed will come unbidden. Practice scales with a quarter, four sixteenth rhythm. "Do, dodododo Do, dodododo Re, rererere Re, rererere Mi, mimimimi..." up to Ti, titititi Ti, titititi Do, dododododo Do." Repeat the patteren descending, then do it over starting on re. Up, then down. Then with Mi, Fa and after you've worked up to Sol, work back down to Do using the same pattern. Start with C major. On the next day C#, the day after B, then D, Bb, etc. in this expanding pattern.

Have fun!