Tongue level for high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, Jun 3, 2014.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Highly specialized methods like C. Gordon's aren't useful without a competent instructor being involved.

As rowuk and other "top tier" players have taught, it is too easy to get all tensed up if you use the concepts of tongue
    manipulation incorrectly OR obsess over tongue movement which is really a result of correct mechanics, not a means to
    correct mechanics.

2. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    My point is that tension can come from the tongue not being high enough, with the tensions coming in to compensate for that.

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Pops McLaughlin says Hiss is the next articulation after Eee.

4. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    Yes, I read that last night and did get notes above high C doing 'hiss'. It said on that page that players on a G or A change from 'Eee' to a 'Tss'. I wonder if anyone on this forum does that? I can 'eeh' up to high F or G only but it's rusty from high C upwards, have to really work that 'Eeeh' hard.

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    x9ret,
    You stated:
    "My point is that tension can come from the tongue not being high enough, with the tensions coming in to compensate for that.
    ----
    What tension? I don't understand what tension you're talking about.
    Dr.Mark

6. x9ret

x9ret Banned

May 6, 2014
    I'm saying that sometimes when people go for a note and it doesn't happen, perhaps they get stuck on the pitch below it, that this is due to incorrect tongue placement. When the tongue is in the wrong place the player may apply incorrect pressure in other areas to try and make up for this. That's what I used to do. Now I think "EEEEH" when I go up instead of thinking "E to F" or "slur C# to F#" which somehow flattened my tongue when what I needed was more "Eeeh"

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If we need ti hiss to get a high C, what does that say about the condition of our chops?

X9rets confusion comes because the standard playing state has not yet been earned and any change "appears to be better". I will not criticize "hiss", perhaps those considering it should think about what type of players use it - and which do not. If we do not know who those players are, perhaps we are missing something important.

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi x9ret,
    You stated:
    "I'm saying that sometimes when people go for a note and it doesn't happen, perhaps they get stuck on the pitch below it, that this is due to incorrect tongue placement.
    ---
    That's exactly wrong. It's incorrect mind placement, period.
    Dr.Mark

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm no expert, but I do have to agree with Dr. Mark and Rowuk. You can't just place your tongue (alone) in a position and automagically get a higher note. From what I am discovering, and trust me I still am, there is a 'knack' to playing the trumpet and it combines about a million different components (maybe a little exaggeration). But once you get the 'knack' you're able to feel the note before you attempt to play it.

To be honest, I used hate it when people would tell me this. Being an analytical type guy, I couldn't wrap my head around that. So I approached it from the perspective I use for running. I'm an experiment of one and I'm going to have to figure out what works for me. I'm finally starting to figure that out. My F above high C is speaking well now, I can get my F# and G most days. The Ab still sucks, but I know it will come eventually.

Mark

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    If any of these 'systems' began with how to achieve powerful, clear and resonant below stave F# and G every day, I might pay them some attention. But they never do, do they? Wonder why.