Tongue level for high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, Jun 3, 2014.

1. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Actually, Gordon's stuff does. The first thing I do every day is low range work. Before I started a year ago, I couldn't play pedal tones at all. Now, I my low F# and G are really strong and I can play down to double pedal C. I thought my teacher was crazy when he started me on them and that they wouldn't do anything. Well, they do and I love playing low. It really helps me to relax and open up.

Mark

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    x9, you lasted almost a whole day! Tisk,tisk, tisk. Or maybe Hisk,hisk,hisk. Because there are many elements that work together in playing used to form "the whole" of playing no single element in and of itself is a panacea for range. Only dedicated practice over the long haul will get you there. High C was only a dream 8 years ago when I started back after a rest of 25 years. Now, it's my Heimat note. ;-) The overwhelming majority of music written for trumpet is below high C. If you have to "hiss" to play that High C, your fundamentals are not sound. I know high note guys that cannot play 8 bars of a Rubanks exercise properly because thats all they obsess about. My advice is the same as Bob Newhart's, "STOP IT"!!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Who is going to pay big bucks for low notes? Free stuff to try:

4 crotchets legato leading to a semibreve. Crescendo from mf to ff. Start with C below the staff and work downwards.

4 quavers with a quaver rest in between and a semibreve, all the same note.ffff, staccato and marcato. Start with C below the staff and continue chromatically downwards.

Strive to get the low notes to "bark."

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    "WOOF" or "ARF"??? :roll:

5. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Bark" as in a pirate captain giving orders, you scurvy dog you! :whistle:

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So it's aa-oo-ee-oo-aa-aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!!!!!!!!! Got it matey (in pirate voice)!!!! ROFL

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum." Wait, no--that is for improvising!

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria

Skål! (and very cross 'bones)

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I see posts like this from time to time when threads are started about "high notes", and I honestly wonder if there are actually people who need to "work" to achieve proficiency with low F# and low G.

I think many methods for improving the upper register assume (perhaps incorrectly) that one has a minimum proficiency on the trumpet before they begin expanding their range.

From a practical perspective, in the music I play (wind symphony, big band, church service, pit musicals, etc, etc) I'm typically playing first/lead parts, so I very rarely encounter low F# or low G. On the occasions that I do encounter them they are not sustained for more than a quarter note, and the dynamic level is usually at or below mf, so I've "owned" that since middle-school.

In the past fewe years I'm more likely to encounter F# and G above high C than F# and G below the stave.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Maybe there are, but there are also those who are quite happy with their sound in the lower registers and would rather not sacrifice it to a wild goose chase that claims to 'expand' range but in reality just 'moves' it up a bit.

And there are also many who wouldn't use the word "owned" quite so loosely. The odd quiet burp down there is not what I was talking about.