Tongue level for high notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by x9ret, Jun 3, 2014.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I said no such thing. I think no such thing. I'm sorry if my responses were a little tetchy (rough day yesterday), but your assumption has no basis in fact.

...and sarcasm doesn't really impress me.

And I greatly admire their skills.

Because my own experience tells me that simplistic attempts at increasing range by focusing primarily on tongue level can damage your all round musicality, particularly the lower range which becomes less easy if you try driving your home taaa note higher up the stave. This is pertinent to the subject of the OP. Isn't it?

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Again, perhaps we're dealing with a language barrier, but you cane to a thread where someone is posting about expanding range (in particular focusing on tongue arch) and posted:
    "If any of these 'systems' began with how to achieve powerful, clear and resonant below stave F# and G every day, I might pay them some attention. But they never do, do they? Wonder why.'

"wild goose chase that claims to 'expand' range but in reality just 'moves' it up a bit."

"cope to be taken in by your claim that the low register is easy. Are you really sure you have anything useful to tell me here? Or is this just a p**sing contest?"

This implies to me that you think efforts/methods to expand range are folly. You further imply that believe mid/low register playing is more difficult than upper register playing. While I agree that focusing entirely on tongue arch can be problematic, I disagree with the rest.

Doesn't make me better than you, it just means I disagree with you. In my world that doesn't constitute a pissing contest.

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    "The rest" being what I didn't actually write, but what you imagine I was probably thinking at the time?

I only know one response to this sort of thing. "Yes, darling, you were right all along. Let me buy you a new pair of shoes to make up" ;-)

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    No, darling "the rest" is what you're choosing to ignore.

But you seem to be "that guy" who like to be the contrary voice in a conversation, so I'll let you finish as such.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My oh my. It appears that many of our members are having "that time of month" all at the same time. This really doesn't fit with TM being a place for a free exchange of constructive ideas. Can't we disagree in a more agreeable manner?

7. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi VB,
    You stated:
    "It appears that many of our members are having "that time of month" all at the same time."
    ---
    That typically happens when females are left in the same area. That allows for better more opportunistic breeding.
    With that said, you breed up half and I'll ask my wife if I can have the other half. I'll tell her it's for research purposes only.
    Dr.Mark

8. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    As in..

While thou livest, keep a good tongue in thy head.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Awesomeness as you quoted the Kingtrumpet (thread on winning an argument with women)- I like you Brits most of the time ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Alas I see what Maui--Jimmy is talking about ROFL ROFL ROFL