Tongue Level

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Principaltrumpet, Jan 28, 2007.

1. michael shanks

michael shanks New Friend

Jan 12, 2007
    I think what we hear we tend to play I am in highschool and have a solo competition coming up the name of it is Romance in E-flat my lips crack when I have to go from an A on the staff to an A above the staff but here lately Ive been going through scales and this helps me to get a pictural thought of the music but I still need help on my pitch any suggestions?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "My lips crack".
    If what you mean is that you get a note in between, there are some very good octave studies in the Arban book.

Past that, play your A in the staff. Now, play the upper octave. The aim is to get the best sound on each note. After you establish your absolute best sound, play the octave slur, recalling the sound BEFORE you play the octave. Then play the octave. You are actively trying to get a certain sound when you use this appraoch. If your sound in the upper octave is not a great one, it won't get any netter when you play a slurred octave. We have to have good sounds as our basis before we try an advanced technique. Otherwise, you're just shooting at nothing, blind, and you wind up becoming a player who goes by feel, not sound.

ML

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007