Tongue placement while tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crazytrmpetnerd9, Jul 6, 2007.

1. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    I was wondering if someone could give me there opinion on which is the most effective place to place the tongue when single tonguing, double tonguing, and even triple tonguing! Thanks You in Advance!:-)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Your question is sort of like asking "Who is right, the Democrats or the Republicans?" There are tons of opinions on the "right" way to tongue, supported with "facts" and "personal experience." Expect your head to spin if everyone chimes in!:stars:

My best results have come from not thinking about tongue position and such too much, but I've made some observations:
    1. Keep the tongue relaxed, as if it is "melted" in the mouth: let it "ride" on the airstream.
    2. Concentrate on the sound the tonguing produces, rather than the action of articulation itself.
    3. Remember that speed involves more than forward motion, also backwards as well.
    Good luck, and have fun!

3. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    VB, as usual, is right on the mark. There are as many right ways concerning tongue placement as there are players.

I don't actually think about where my tongue is when I play. I concentrate on a continuous air stream that acts like a river. My tongue only interrupts this stream like a gate in the river. I articulate by imagining I'm singing.

Regards,

Trevor

4. JunkyT

JunkyT Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Nice post, VG.

Can you explain a little further what you mean by "backwards motion"?

Thanks!

5. crazytrmpetnerd9

crazytrmpetnerd9 New Friend

Apr 15, 2007
    Northeast, U.S.
    thanks for the great advice

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Ok, but it'll be really weird. Slow motion time:

• Our tongue moves forward to articulate, and makes first contact. (Think of something along the lines of one of those foam "#1" gloves fans wear, and try to push a button with one on. Where the foam first touches the button is this first contact.)
    • A very,very,very short time later the tongue makes full contact. (The foam finally compresses enough that the finger can excert pressure on the button.)
    • The tongue then returns to its original position. (As we leave the button, our pressure is reduced, although the foam is still making contact a tad bit longer.)
    When praciticing articulation we'll sometimes spend most of our energy concentrating on the silence before the "T" in "tah," and not give due consideration to the time between the "T" and the "ah." This is what I mean by "backwards motion."

It's all a part of this strange theory of mine that the place music happens is between the notes. Hope this helps!

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    i anchor tongue i think. i am not sure. (gordon calls this k tounge modified i think) this is one of those things that it is very easy to get into paralysis by analysis. imagine the sound of attack you want and the stay out of the way and let the tongue do whatever it needs to do and not worry about if it is textbook or not.