Tongue placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Du Style, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Du Style

Du Style New Friend

Sep 29, 2010
    Hello all. I didn't find this topic under the search but forgive me if it's been repeated.

I've always been told that when you tongue, the tip should touch the area where the teeth meet the gums (at the top of mouth) well I've always been different. For whatever reason I tongue at the bottom of my mouth. It was never a problem until I was introduced to double and triple tonguing ( I have a pretty fast single so I "cheated" on faster parts) but now I've come to a point where the double tongue is the best solution but due to what I think is abnormal tonguing it's a grueling feat to master. Does anyone else share my situation and what suggestions do you have?

(Also tonguing at the bottom I've noticed gives me that "chewing" motion when I'm tonguing)

2. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    i think that you should what everybody told you to do on the first place. Tongue normally. also, you need to get a teacher.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I know successful players that tongue against the bottom, top, even between the teeth.

I am convinced that for casual playing, we can do many things and get away with it. Aspirations of becoming a professional make the requirement for external help critical.

I teach what is necessary. I have had a couple of players with dentures as students. They anchor the tip of their tongue on the bottom teeth and articulate with a spot on the tongue about a half an inch back. I also know of some lead players that do the same thing.

4. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    Hmm, if you can articulate fast with no effort then the tongue is well placed, I guess.

Then again, in my experience, the tongue position, the higher it is, alters not the pitch, but, the sound, makes it more darker ( my vocabulary is bad :( )