Tongue Tie Clipping (Frenulum) - Will It Hurt My Playing? Have you Clipped Your's?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AmyGirl, Mar 6, 2014.

1. AmyGirl

AmyGirl New Friend

Mar 5, 2014
    Dear Trumpet Friends,

I am a 32 year old trumpet player and band director. I am looking into getting my tongue tie (frenulum) clipped as I found out it is very severe when having my daughter's tongue and lip ties clipped a few weeks ago. It can cause many health related issues, even for adults and my jaw constantly hurts, which can be one of the many side effects. I want to get it clipped but I'm hesitating. I need to find a brass player somewhere out there who is an adult, has been playing trumpet/brass professionally for years, got this done and then had no issues thereafter with their playing. I'm excellent at triple and double tonguing and my articulating is very crisp and I'd hate to ruin this by clipping my tongue. I won't take the jump until I know it won't hurt my playing. Please someone out there in trumpet-land, have you had this done as an adult?! What did you go through recovering on your horn?

TIA
    Amy

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    Re: Tongue Tie Clipping (Frenulum) - Will It Hurt My Playing? Have you Clipped Your's

I had mine clipped when I was 12, which is obviously not as an adult. But, I started playing when I was 6, and I already had a good grasp on articulation by then. I never had any negative effects, and my development continued at a normal pace. Just my experience, but I wouldn't worry about it hurting your playing. If your jaw hurts all the time now, I would do it.m but that's just me.

3. AmyGirl

AmyGirl New Friend

Mar 5, 2014
    Re: Tongue Tie Clipping (Frenulum) - Will It Hurt My Playing? Have you Clipped Your's

Thank you for your insight. The more positive stories I hear the more likely I'll go through with it :)

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto

Why exactly do you get this clipped?

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland

To answer Brekelefuw's question -- look under your tongue. There's a thin area of skin connecting the bottom of the tonue to the base of your mouthe. People who are "tonue-tied" have a short thick area of skin under the tongue. In children, this can hinder certain developmental milestones.

For the OP -- Another issue to consider is whether it is causing any problems now. My understanding is that, in an asymptomatic adult, there is no consensus on whether you should get this procedure done.

Mike

6. AmyGirl

AmyGirl New Friend

Mar 5, 2014

It is for various reasons, but mainly because I have constant jaw/neck/head pain from clenching my teeth at night and having this clipped sometimes can help with this.

7. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK

Hi AmyGirl, I'm a dentist in the UK.
    You state that your reason for having a lingual frenectomy is in the hope that it may help the symptoms that you have as a result of your bruxism (clenching and grinding).
    In my experience I have never heard of this as a treatment for preventing bruxism only for preventing an open bite developing in children and in adults with speech, eating and swallowing problems.
    Do you wear a nightguard or some other type of occlusal splint to help with your bruxing?

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  8. AmyGirl

AmyGirl New Friend

Mar 5, 2014

Thanks for your help! I do wear a night guard and have for about 10 years. I started researching this a lot when my daughter had her upper lip tie and tongue ties reversed recently and the pediatric dentist who did it mentioned mine was pretty thick. The dentist that did the procedure on my daughter is a student of the most well-known doctor who works with infant issues in the mouth relating to breastfeeding, Dr. Kotlow. Pediatric Dentist in Albany, NY - Dr. Lawrence A. Kotlow On the holistic side of things, people believe a tongue tie can negatively impact the body as a whole with more tension etc. causing neck and jaw pain, so holistic dentists recommend that they be clipped. I had two adult friends in their late 20s have them done recently with good results, so another reason for me to be considering it. It is a bigger decision as a trumpet player though :-?

I wish I could just find at least one adult trumpet player who has had this done and can give me feedback. I don't think I will go through with it until I hear that from another brass player. A risk I'm not willing to take without hard facts!

Thanks again!

9. And3

And3 Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2013
    East Sussex, UK

OK AmyGirl, just checking re the occlusal splint.

I would add that I think you should hold off until you see some hard facts as you say. Proper evidence based treatment is the only way to proceed especially when any type of surgery is involved.

10. AmyGirl

AmyGirl New Friend

Mar 5, 2014

I agree, I'm actually going to call the office in NY to see if they have patients that play instruments who have had this done :)