Tongue Tie Clipping (Frenulum) - Will It Hurt My Playing? Have you Clipped Your's?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by AmyGirl, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia
    Re: Tongue Tie Clipping (Frenulum) - Will It Hurt My Playing? Have you Clipped Your's

Had mine clipped at 17 yoa and was playing the trumpet in band. Better in two days. No issues whatsoever. Mine was bad enough that it was constantly getting irritated by my bottom teeth.

2. AmyGirl

AmyGirl New Friend

Mar 5, 2014
    Re: Tongue Tie Clipping (Frenulum) - Will It Hurt My Playing? Have you Clipped Your's

Thank you! Was it weird adjusting to it?

3. ckkphoto

ckkphoto Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2013
    Northwest Georgia

I don't recall any difficulty whatsoever. Just looked at it in the mirror a lot. The toungue heals amazingly quickly and I cant say it made a bit of difference plus or minus to my playing. There was one stitch.

4. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA

Has there been any progress on the OP's thread? AmyGirl, did you go through with it? I am also a 32 yr old trumpet player with a new born who is tongued tied and it got me to thinking. I am also a little "tied" down in the tongue area and was wondering if there were any benefits to having it done.

Inquiring minds want to know!

5. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

Wow.
    Now I might be getting clipped at THE OTHER END TOO.
    For Pete's sake...I can't take much more emasculation.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

So don't do it. How can you improve on excellent? I am a pediatrician and have NEVER had do this procedure in ANY of my patients. The only real indication to doing this is if it interferes with an infant's feeding or effects language development. I know of no indication of trumpet playing in the recommendations for proceeding with this procedure. You play excellent with your current tongue function so this is NOT limiting your jaw action.

Now, if you are experiencing jaw pain, I would recommend looking in to other causes such as bruxism while you are sleeping, or TMJ dysfunction, that may also result in headaches.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

To provide procedural income for the physician.

8. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

Yep.
    Sounds like a cottage industry to me.
    I'd suspect other causes...stress...

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe

To alleviate your jaw and neck pain and bruxism, I would suggest a visit to a recognized therapist in orthobionomy. I had similar problems, and my wife - who is an orthobionomist besides being a full-scale opera singer (www.reginaschoerg.com) - was able to resolve my problems with minimal-impact therapy.