Tongueing low notes rapidly.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet_man, Jan 10, 2009.

1. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Rowuk, I"ve been double toungueing the second clark study along with the etude since Jan. 1st as part of my plan to pick up my playing for the new year.They are great for the low notes and they dont take much time when you start getting them down.By doing them every day progress comes pretty fast.Some are more difficut than others and I am able to play them all between 80 and 105 with the metronome in less than two weeks.I was going to suggest double toungueing the clark studies but you beat me to it,so I:ll just second your suggestion and thank you for letting me know I am on the right track.:thumbsup:

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    This is one of many exercises you can do. this a borrowed and modified Schlossberg drill. Start on middle G and tongue say 4 beats of 1/8 notes. Only play as fast as you can play cleanly. Keep the tonguing light with good support. Descend by 1/2 steps down as far as you can play cleanly. Slow down as needed. Breathe as needed. The key is for the tongue too feel as clean on the lower notes as it does on the G. Stop when it stops working. never ever force to tongue to go fast. It's counter productive. Repeat for 10 minutes. every day. As you improve try to play lower and lower and faster. If others post similar ex. you can use them too instead of doing only this one for 10 min. With daily practice you should be able to play all way down to low F#. let us know how this goes.

For rapid tonguing with note changing the Clarke second study is very good. But start on ex. #37 and descend. Remember soft, light, clean. The majority of tonguing problems are a result of not supporting the sound/tongue.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Thanks Bob, I give a try