tonguing hurts my endurance

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by songbook, Jun 22, 2011.

1. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    I find when I work on my tonguing, my endurance suffers. Do others find this to be true.

2. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    If I remember correctly, Bill Chase used to talk about this issue when he would do a presentation/clinic to students.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    For me the opposite is true - working on articulation improves my focus and makes it so that it takes less effort to play.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is normal. You simply need to practice a lot more. Once you have retrained your body, then you have the speed and endurance.

Success is measured in months and years not in speed and length.

Patrick has paid his dues. What he reports also is what I experience. The first 10 years or so probably were not as easy. I can't remember.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Haha! True! In my memory of my progress as a player, I didn't start putting the connection together with articulation and focus/endurance, until I was in my 9th to 10th year of playing trumpet, but I'm almost 20 years past that point now. Actually, come to think of it, when I was a Junior in HS and played the Goedicke Concert Etude as a contest solo, I think maybe the double tonguing did zap my endurance a bit back then - it's been so long ago though that it's hard to remember.

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Tonguing hurting your endurance usually means that your tonguing is not efficient enough - you put in it too much effort or eventually your chops can't handle it. In both cases I would follow rowuk's advice - just do more diligent and quality tonguing practice. Have a look at Erik Rinner daily routines - lots of tonguing stuff.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, it's true for me. That's why you/I have to practice it and not ignore it because it's hard and hurts your endurance. It's not as bad as it used to be (been practicing :cool:).

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's not the tongue that's inefficient - it's the air. If my articulation is crisp, clean, fast and easy, for me that has always meant that I'm using good breath support and have good focus and usage of my air.

9. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I believe that both are true. If air support is insufficient beginners tend to use too much tonguing to compensate for the lack support - the result is really rough articulations and excessive mp pressure, which may cause decrease of endurance.

10. songbook

songbook Piano User

Apr 25, 2010
    trumpetnick, I hate to open another can of worms, but exactly what do you mean by air support?