Tonguing problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I have been getting lessons from a really good local trumpet player for about 4-5 weeks now! I have lessons with him for 30 mins once a week! And let me tell you this, he is an amazing trumpet player!!:D

About 2 weeks ago he found a tonguing problem in my playing. Basically the way I'm tonguing is back in forth instead of up and down. And when I do that, the area in the back of the tongue bunches up and blocks the air!:-o Well he has been trying to have me playing some tonguing passages for the sole purpose having me fix my tongue on my own (as he can't do it for me). I actually did amazing today on these lines he had me play and I about bursted out screaming and jumping! Also, whenever I do play with my tongue the "old" way, he hears this short 1 sec growl in the back of my throat. But today I did a great job and he only heard it once!!

Ohh and today I had a chance to play an Eb and piccolo trumpet, just for fun though! It was amazing!

I honestly thought that I wasn't getting better because I was practicing the wrong things! But now I know what it is and can work on it from there! He told me it isn't going to be easy, but it will be rewarding in the end. He said my tone is beautiful when were playing slow, less tongued music, but once the tongue is involved that's where I'm having trouble.

I just thought I would tell you guys where I'm at playing-wise! I now understand why a teacher can help! I would of never guessed what was causing this!

2. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Sounds like he has you anchor-tonguing. Although this method works for a lot of players, sometimes great players make lousy teachers because it can be hard to explain a technique that may have come to you naturally. I'm glad your teacher was able to explain it in a way that you could understand and execute.