Tonguing problems

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Bach219, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    I have been getting lessons from a really good local trumpet player for about 4-5 weeks now! I have lessons with him for 30 mins once a week! And let me tell you this, he is an amazing trumpet player!!:D

About 2 weeks ago he found a tonguing problem in my playing. Basically the way I'm tonguing is back in forth instead of up and down. And when I do that, the area in the back of the tongue bunches up and blocks the air!:-o Well he has been trying to have me playing some tonguing passages for the sole purpose having me fix my tongue on my own (as he can't do it for me). I actually did amazing today on these lines he had me play and I about bursted out screaming and jumping! Also, whenever I do play with my tongue the "old" way, he hears this short 1 sec growl in the back of my throat. But today I did a great job and he only heard it once!!

I honestly thought that I wasn't getting better because I was practicing the wrong things! But now I know what it is and can work on it from there! He told me it isn't going to be easy, but it will be rewarding in the end. He said my tone is beautiful when were playing slow, less tongued music, but once the tongue is involved that's where I'm having trouble.

I just thought I would tell you guys where I'm at playing-wise! I now understand why you guys always say to get a teacher because they CAN help! I would of never guessed what was causing this problem!

Ohh and today I had a chance to play an Eb and piccolo trumpet, just for fun though! It was amazing!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  2. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Congratulations on your discovery. That's the sort of thing that keeps us all playing. We look for those 'ah-ha' moments when something suddenly clicks. Sometimes we discover it on our own and sometimes it takes someone else's view in order to see it. But either way, it gives us the hope and encouragement that we need to keep going. So, build on that and go on to the next win in your development.

4. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    That´s just so great! And your telling the rest of us
    about it is very inspireing, too!

Usually we tend to turn to the forum when something
    doesn´t work, and it´s a bit like the news on TV; we
    need also to hear the good things sometimes!!

Thanks for sharing your happiness with us all!!:-)

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    cool beans!!