Tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by willens, Jun 6, 2010.

1. willens

willens New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello,

I was wondering if there was any way that I may be able to correct my tonguing technique. My protrudes through my lips and I can't tongue clearly in the middle register. My articulation is choppy and slow and doesn't have that "pop" in it. I have been playing for three years, and when I first started out, I had brace. They're off now. Any suggestions are welcome.

Willens- new member

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    The shape of your tongue should be cupped like a spoon with the tip of your tongue on the roof of the mouth just behind the upper teeth. When you tongue, don't stop the air with your tongue. Generally you will get a "tat" sound instead of "ta" The tongue is just a mechanism for interupting the air flow. Remember, ta, ta, ta. Not Tat, tat, tat. Also each time you stop the air with your tongue (tat) you are doubling your work load.
    Keep the air flowing and use ta ta ta.

3. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I use the articulation "du". That, for me, puts the tongue in the proper place when I use it. Again, I know it is cliche, but having a private teacher is the best way to fix this.

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree that a private teacher is the only way. You need to be coached to solve the problem. It's not just about using the tongue properly, it's also about air flow. You've been tonguing this way for a while which means it's a habit. You need someone to coach you to train yourself to play with good habits. Got a web cam? the first one's free!

5. dks4011

dks4011 New Friend

Jan 16, 2007
    Black Earth, Wisconsin
    The more I study articulation from different people the more I am feeling there is no one right way. Everyone needs to find their own way. That being said, I agree with the two prior suggestions but I think there are additional suggestions. Miles said he practiced articulation by putting dry rice in his mouth and spitting them out one at a time. That tells me he was actually putting his tongue between his teeth and closing off the gap between his lips. This would be like saying "thoo". I've studied from classical players who use a variety of different syllables for different effects or articulation markings. They would range from poo, thoo, too, doo, noo and loo. I use the loo syllable in certain slurred situations, like a large upward interval slur inside a decrescendo. Say for example the octave slur in Quiet City. Loo still sounds smooth and slurred but gives me much more confidence.
    Hope this helps.

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    First, don't think of the attacking notes with the tongue. The tongue actually releases the air and lets the note out.

7. willens

willens New Friend

Jun 6, 2010
    Hello guys,

Thank you all for respondindg to this thread. I have taken your adivice, and my teacher and I are woeking so can tongue properly. I've been doing the first studies in the arbans trying to get a feel of using the syllabe (dee) tounging. It seems as if my initial attacks can't start off using dee but thoo. THen, every subsequent articulation is "dee". I have a practice journal now, and I noted that my attacks were weak in the mid-register (3rd space C# )and the tone was rather stuffy. Does anyone know how long this process wil take for me to learn to tongue using the "dee" syllable properly at all registers, dynamic and speeds? I really want to have this down before school starts back up in the fall.

Thanks,
    Willens

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    An hour a day EVERY day until school starts will help quite a bit. Of course that hour is only 1/4 of the time you need to develop the rest. No good breathing, no good tonguing, no good range, no good sound.

You should be able to articulate with ANY consonant if you are breathing properly.