Tonguing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Nov 16, 2010.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Didn't know it had a name. It does take work. When I play I use the method you describe.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Hi gang

I have to ask the question (I know I'm a little unusual in tongueing between the teeth as well as behind them and have no articulation problems except those on the motorway going to rehersals but I digress) Are we over complicating the issue. Giving tongueing styles names seems a little OTT when its what comes out of the bell that counts. The OP has a problem with articulation and asked for advice. I would suggest he learns to have the ability to bring his tongue back without loosing the ability to tongue off the lip

Cheers

Andrew

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    growing up where I did, we learned that when Clarke et al used the "tu" syllable they were actually referring to the French pronunciation of the word "you" (tu), which has the tip of the tongue against the lower teeth. When taught anchor tonguing, I just adjusted the tip of the tongue bit down to the base of the bottom teeth.\

Now that I think of it, the pronunciation of "tu" actually also involves a more open throat than does "too".

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, giving tonguing a name (or adjective if you prefer) helps identify what is called for (single, double, triple). It's not complicating the issue to do this, it is educating the poster so they have a reference point. Syllable pronunciation is an accepted method of teaching ( aa-oo-ee, tu-ku tu-ku, tu-tu-ku or tu-ku-tu ). Maybe I'm wrong, but I think tongue position is an important aspect of trumpet playing. If the poster can't master tonguing, his repertoire will be limited. Or he could simply learn that playing method where you do stick your tongue between your teeth and spit like you've got something stuck on the end of your tongue. It does have a name, but I don't want to over complicate the issue and appear to be over the top. Besides what's in a name? A rose is a rose is a rose right? ;-)

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks all for the great advice. I think one of the most valuable things I get out of this forum (and hope to give back someday) is the range of opinions. And more specifically, as a beginner I always want to know if what I'm doing is flat out wrong, or ok. Case in point is what i now know is called anchor tonguing. That feels natural to me and I find myself tonguing that way. As long as I know that's at least semi-normal, I'll give it more of a go, along with other techniques mentioned. I also like the idea of recording yourself. Sounds simple enough, but it just enver occurred to me.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    5 minutes with a good teacher can replace 60,000 speculative but not definitive internet posts.

The key to proper articulation is thousands of low impact repetitions of ALL available consonants. Short term "effects" can be achieved by thinking about Taa, Too, Tee or Taat, Toot, Teet. Only after those repetitions do we develop a "feel" for what fits in our musical setting.

Forget any "short term" solutions. They don't work. The consummate trumpeter needs it all. Now go out and do the right thing.