Tonsillectomy causing air leakage.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by marty2, Jan 18, 2007.

1. marty2

marty2 New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    After a recent tonsillectomy(4 months ago) I now have air leaking through my nose when I get above high c.
    My surgeon tells me it is because the tissue around the soft palate where the tonsils were removed from is now stiff and inflexible and can't seal off the air properly from the nose. (He says it "should" get better with time) This doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence.
    Does anyone have some information on this problem and if so, is there anything I can do to aid recovery other than keep practicing?(very frustrating!);-)

2. jazzartizt1742

jazzartizt1742 New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Union Grove, Wisconsin
    I had a tonsillectomy and an adenoidectomy after X-mas this past year and I too experience air leaking out of my nose when I play loudly or above the staff for long phrases. I noticed it only got worse the more I thought about it, so I concentrated on air flow through the horn and that helped a lot. I didn't talk to my ear, nose, and throat doctor about this so I don't have any advice from a professional, but I can sympathize with your "issue". I would say keep practicing and don't worry about it (since this is what I'm doing). Good Luck!

-Jim Sustachek