Too attached to your horn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jwmrks, Sep 12, 2015.

1. jwmrks

jwmrks New Friend

Aug 14, 2015
    I know I already have a mild case of N+1, but what do you call the affliction of being too attached to your horns? I dropped off my 1914 Holton to get a little bit of expert lovin' (to unstick two slides, remove one small dent, replace corks and general chem bath/cleaning) and I felt like a dad dropping his kids off on the first day of school. If they told me it would have been more than a month I may have had second thoughts of leaving it. I imagine my face when they told me it would be a couple weeks looked like the people on Hoarders when asked to start filling the throwaway pile. :-o I may have to peruse ebay for vintage brass instruments to take my mind of my baby. LOL

2. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    ...If being "too attached" to our instrument make us play better and make music better... Let's keep taking care and " spoiling our babies"!

3. jwmrks

jwmrks New Friend

Aug 14, 2015
    I don't know how much is mental, but I do feel like I play better on my vintage horns. Something about the fact that they may have had soo much music already passed through them that I'm only adding to their history that makes me feel like I need to step up my game to be worthy of the horn. I can't say if the horn is actually better, but I seem to produce better sounds weather its just my mental frame of mind or the quality of the horn.

PS: I did just pick up a 'vintage' single valve trumpet/bugle on ebay for just a few bucks so hopefully my itch will sufficiently be scratched.

PPS: I never know if I should curse ebay for 'making me' spend money on items I don't need, or praise it for allowing me to purchuse those rare finds. :lol:

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I have a few spares (including my grandfather's horn) and I live down the street from my trumpet tech, Mr Charlie Melk.

So, no. I never feel that way. :-)

Tom

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, I think a lot of us understand your feeling. Personally, I think some of us older guys probably suffer from it more. Horns were not always easy for many of us to come by. And most of us didn't have "several" from which to pick each time we played. I only had one horn, an Olds Super, until my jr year in college. I still often carry to Super with me to jazz band.

Those of us who grew up happy to get the one horn cared for them like they were a member of the family. If something happened to it there probably wouldn't be a second one. In fact, I played with concert, jazz, marching, orchestra, brass ensemble, pep band, pit band, and a few others during high school and my horn never had even a slight dink. We seemed to see the horn more of an extension of ourselves back in those days. Today, I watch musicians smash guitars on stage and wonder what in the world are they thinking. There is not that same respect and appreciation. They seem to view them more as a tool than an instrument.

Yes, there are a few of us out here who view instruments like you.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Idolatry??? ROFL

7. jwmrks

jwmrks New Friend

Aug 14, 2015
    I don't worship my horns (at least not the horns I was talking about :D ) but treat them as if they were sentient.

My mom was a counselor so I learned how to empathize even with rocks. :lol:

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Attached, well yes I suppose so. Too attached?...I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Best wishes.

9. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Too attached to your horn? I don't think so.

A couple years ago, my jazz trio played at a "life celebration" for a local trumpet player who passed on. His daughter told me of his love of his trumpet. When he had surgery, he took his trumpet (a CG Benge) into the OR. And after he passed on, he was buried with his trumpet. It was a very moving story.

And me personally, I love my Bach Strad 43*. It's a great trumpet, and my primary horn since I was 16 year old.

Mike

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I view my ownership as more of a Custodian...
    My duty is to keep them in good playing condition to pass onto the next generation, or generation +1. So it is just like a health check when they are given in for a service or Tech work.