too dependent on warm-ups

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kantza, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Kantza

Kantza Pianissimo User

May 28, 2012
    Belgium
    I practice daily, at least 30min depending on the time I have (I'm still a student).
    Not sure if I practice "sub optimally", I do slurs through my confortable range, I play scales, some arban, some studies etc.
    I guess I should try to do some warm-ups before I go to the lesson and/or flap my lips on the way to there :).

The teacher litterally said I have to warm up less. She also mentioned that sometimes you just need to be able to play when you don't have the time or place on a gig. But this is a bad argument IMHO...

&Thanks for all the comments, I think I'll have to find the problem myself, lots of possibilities.
    I'll also talk albout this with an other teacher/professional jazz trumpeter.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If your warm up is 50% of your practice, then you either need to warm up less or practice more.

It is not a very bad argument. Your teacher is right, and most of us have lots of stories about gigs that went perfectly well without a warm up.

3. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    My warm up is also 10-15 min.

If I'm heading to a gig where this is not enough time or a place to warm up, I'll do it at home before I leave. If I can't do that, there's some tips in Roger Ingram's excellent book regarding buzzing etc. that are good to do in the car on the way.

4. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    What I've learned from great advice is do what helps me settle into the horn. Physiologically it will take X amount of time blood flow, muscles actually warming up. Psychologically it could be longer. For me lip bends on a few notes does the trick. I asked some USMC band trumpet players how they play Taps so well cold. Their answer was they do it A LOT. It helps that Taps is a warmup of sorts anyways, better to play that cold than say, Carnival of Venice!

5. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    If you guys do part iii of Clarke's 'setting up drills' (the diatonic scale part) every day, your chops should be so good and consistent that you'll be ready for anything - assuming you have no major embouchure issues and are using the right tools for the job. Give it a couple of weeks and see for yourself!:-)

6. JustinM

JustinM New Friend

Nov 26, 2014
    No, it's not. I have gotten to gigs and rehearsals quite early and still couldn't warm up because of any number of things. Maybe they needed help setting up. Maybe there was some other act right before us. Maybe it's a poorly-planned high school musical and they're giving notes to the actors right up until the downbeat of the overture. Worst, maybe I'm just running late. It happens. Over the years, I've learned to make it not matter.

7. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I've found that if I'm working (or just practicing) a lot every day, I don't need to warm-up... But I always try to get my Clarke part III of SUD in as it just keeps making my chops more efficient. Best, Lex

8. tfresh1

tfresh1 New Friend

Jun 23, 2008
    Portland, OR
    That's some of the worst advice I've ever heard. Is your teacher a professional player? Or just someone you know who plays trumpet at church? (I'm not being sarcastic...I've had students come to me after having "studied" with a guy from their church who teaches trumpet and accordion and banjo and violin lessons). This doesn't sound like something that anyone who has played professionally would ever say out loud.

9. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    Actually, this is advice I've heard from many professional musicians, especially those that have been on road bands. JustinM explained it exactly as I've heard it elsewhere.

I don't think the idea is not to warm up. The point is to not get so reliant on it that you fall apart (mentally or physically) when you cannot warm up. Ideally, my playing is the most consistent when I can do a regular, relaxed warmup. When I had to travel overseas to perform, I spent about a month weening myself off my warmup, since I didn't know if I'd have the luxury of having one. It was a struggle, but I finally got there. It was very freeing mentally.

Garry

10. JustinM

JustinM New Friend

Nov 26, 2014
    Precisely. I'm not even approaching even halfway decent on trumpet (I'm here to learn like most others), but I play trombone semi-pro. I absolutely must be able to sit down, pick the horn up, and go, sometimes even when the horn is so cold I have to play notes in the wrong spots on the slide. It's part and parcel of having a day job and gigs in the evening.