too late for Berkley.....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Feb 23, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    At 66 I don't expect to attend Berkley or any other music college........but, I'm thinking it would be fun to follow the ciriculum for a Jazz Trumpet student as a method of study. Any suggestions on how to acquire such a thing. Cautionary comments accepted as well.

crow

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Lots of free material here: IWasDoingAllRight - Jazz Blog, Ear Training, Jazz Trumpet, Atlanta Jazz

I do not believe there is an age ceiling for going to school. At 66 you are better equipped and know what you want and how to work for it. Don't thwart yourself at the outset with negative preconceptions. Anything is possible if you believe in yourself.
    veery (62 and immersed in learning jazz)

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    When I was in first year there was a 72 year old tenor sax player finishing his fourth year. He was a great player with a big classic sound, and had tons of stories from his younger days gigging around.

4. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you want to have some fun and learn a lot about jazz, jazz musicianship, theory and improvisation, go to Jerry Aebersold's Summer Jazz Workshop at the University of Louisville, Louisville Kentucky. There are two sessions: 1) June 28th to July 3rd and 2) July 5th to July 10th. A group of us "over 50's" have been going down for the past three summers and have had a blast and even learned something each time. Check out: Jamey Aebersold's Summer Jazz Workshops

5. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    I think the summer workshop is a cracking idea. I think Pat Harbison does trumpet on the Jamey Aebersold workshops...he's used to us oldies!

If you want to take it more seriously then there's nothing stopping from going back to school at 66 (apart from money of course). No caution, just go for it.

Regards,

Trevor

6. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    That did it! I'm selling my house, moving to Massachusetts, enrolling in Berkley, and becoming a monster trumpeter! Not really. I appreciate all the encouragement, and actually I got my BS as an older student in another diciplin. I live in Florida and would very much like to take Arturo Sandoval's classes in Miami, but they don't allow auditing. I don't think I'm good enough on the horn to qualify for the program. But I will think about some of the avenues suggested. Thanks............. crow

7. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Veery715........ nice site.......thanks....... crow

8. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    If it makes you feel any better, I attended Berklee for a semester, but found it to be a waste of money. I transferred to a smaller but better school that had great instructors that I got to spend much more time with. At Berklee I was only getting a half hour a week with my private teacher, as a performance major! If you'd like to take some of their courses without moving there, though, you can take them online. I also highly reccomend going to one of the camps - you'll really enjoy it. It's really wonderful that you're that you're enjoying playing and want to put some serious time in - too many people just say "I'm too old" and quit there. You're necver too old to learn- glad you've realized that! ;)

9. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    The experience of a college curriculum for a trumpet player would be very hard to duplicate 'at home' because most of the curriculum is not about 'trumpet' stuff.

When I was at Berklee, I had a weekly trumpet lesson in which my teacher and worked on my general playing abilities (I was an older student and knew what I needed to work on) and making sure I was prepared for the semester juries.
    The juries consisted of a set of fundamental playing tasks spread out over 8 semesters -- so for the first semester you might be required to be able to play 4 major scales, 4 minor scales, et.c etc. etc. Add to that some sight reading and improv and that was the jury.
    Most of the curriculum was taking other music classes harmony, ear training, arranging etc. and playing in ensembles.

The best thing you could to to duplicate this would be:

-get a good teacher and practice/study religiously
    -get into some local ensembles and play as much as possible
    -do the summer jazz camp thing - its a good experience

bigtiny

10. Hoghorn

Hoghorn Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2008
    Manitowoc Wi.
    It's spelled Berklee ...Thanks Bigtiny

Hoghorn