Too much air not enough sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    so basically, when i play, you hear too much air, but not enough sound?

2. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Keep playing. Listen often to as many great players as you can and try to emulate the tones. It's hard to explain, but you've got to hear the tone you want before you can produce it.

3. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Ok so air problem is to do with the tone. I thought maybe im blowing too much air into it or maybe not forming my buzzing right?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When you "hear" air, it is not too much or too little. It is the lips making noises that they are not supposed to.

I used to think that that "airy" sound was also "leakage". In fact, when the lips are not "supple" or under control, the air moving across them causes them to vibrate in a very "unmusical" way. With experienced players, this can also happen when the face is trashed. In that case, the face muscles are too weak to keep the lips together.

The solution to that "airy" sound is a lot of soft practice. That teaches the lips to vibrate freely, but still gives you an opportunity to build muscle control.

5. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    After time as my lips become more numb, it sounds nore airy.

Its very hard for me to maintain a steady low sound. I usually just play freely - if you know what i mean

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Antalya, Turkey
    That confirms Rowuk's diagnosis. Get your Clarke and do some serious practice in soft dynamics. When you are tired it sounds "more airy" which confirms Rowuk's suspicions about lack of control in your lip buzzing.

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I wouldn't worry about it. As your chops improve, the problem will most likely go away on its own. The opposite problem, a pinched- off, high- pressure embouchure, is much more difficult to conquer. Your chops are more than just your lips. Almost every muscle in your face is being used, not to mention the muscles used in your air column. Follow Nick's & Rowuk's advice.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    long soft tones -- like around the 2nd line G (in the staff), and a few notes either way. and be sure to rest in between sets. More like play 3 minutes, then rest 3 minutes. Play 5 minutes, rest 5 minutes.
    the trumpet takes, time, patience, and practice ---- think months and years, not days --- in other words -- maybe that sound doesn't change by tomorrow, but 2 weeks from now, or 2 months from now -- you may think differently about how you sound

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Along with playing everything soft ,back off on the pressure. If your lips become numb, you're using way too much pressure.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Absolutely! By a "lot" of soft practice we mean give practice much time to achieve this goal, but do not play "a lot" at any one time, as your other symptoms suggest you are fatiguing. Stop at this point for the day, and start up the next day shaving off 10-15 minutes and stick to this time schedule until you make it through rehearsal without time getting that airy sound (fatiguing). Then add back 15 minutes to your practice and stick with that schedule for a week or so, only to advance at 15 minutes intervals. I would not recommend playing past an hour. If you want to play more through the day, that is fine, but give it some time between rehearsal periods.

I am not sure why gigs are set up for hour sets, and 5-20 minute breaks, but I have inherited this schedule by playing in bands for over 40 years, and that pattern seems to work well for me.