Too much air not enough sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Apr 24, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The gigs are not managed/booked by trumpet players - that is why. If the bookers name happened to be Buddy Rich, even the greatest of the great got numb lips.................

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ahhh... so that is why? Dammed booze jockeys! [No reference to Buddy, but to those who own the clubs.. this Bud's not for you]

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

Wish those club owners (booze jockeys) would comp us gin to help numb our lips. I am talking totally topical, but I may occasionally swallow.

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, bands are rated by how much is taken in at the bar.

Great music brings more people in, too loud chases them away, too soft means that they can converse normally which is bad because having to converse a bit louder means they drink more. The right volume AND danceable mean that even more drinks are bought!

It is actually a science. The really smart bands have figured it out. The really smart clubs too. A telltale sign for a bar turnover driven club is free nuts or popcorn on all the tables!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    By free nuts I am assuming you mean the food group, not the patrons that come in without paying a cover charge.

Actually, your bar economics lesson is well appreciated, and I know for a fact this is how our band (and bands I have been in from the past) go into our business meetings before and after we update and are updated by our booking agents. Different clubs demand different set composition and orders. So your point is very well taken and does speak much to the truth. It is this business side of music that keeps my current prioritization on my day gig as a physician... Albeit much of what you say above also has a valid application to medicine. And that includes working with nuts (and I am not talking about my patients).

6. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    maybe i am trying too hard? Sometimes after playing i feel dizzy and my head spins. a drink of water fixes it up.

I will start slowing it down and start doing long soft tones.

Thanks for all your advice

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, if some bar owners had their way, the musicians would be the free nuts..........

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Check rowuk's signature quote: Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again. If you don't start breathing right, you feel dizzy, your head spins, and (without the water) you pass out. You may be experiencing pre-syncope. This can be caused by too much force. If you are tightening your neck muscles, your carotid (sinus) nerve input could be getting stimulated which slows your heart rate down, and when blood does not perfuse the brain appropriately, the signs you mention may be a result.

So I have these questions.
    How long does the dizziness last?
    Is this associated with dots or darkening of your vision?
    Is headache associated?
    Do you feel “funny” heart beats?
    Have you ever lost consciousness in the past?
    Is there any family history of heart disease or heat rhythm disturbance?

Then again perhaps it is your lungs.
    Are you short winded?
    Do you notice wheezing or a barking cough?

So before I hear more, it is difficult for me to recommend anything other than: Try drinking the water before, during and then after you play.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Oh my goodness, this is Oh so true. I was hoping your neck of the woods would have spared from this indignity.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    my 2 cents .... when my chops are tight the low register suffers and my tone gets airy .... best way to correst it is a good warmup and follow the above advice .. minus the beer nuts and chips.
    and chap lips also produce the same result.
    also
    I do a cool down after I play to loosen up the chops.