Too much air not enough sound?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    1. Dizziness lasts few seconds, maybe 10 tops
    2. Dots vision
    3. Mild headache
    3. My heart does pump faster when playing (not really relaxed)
    4. never lost consciousness in the past
    5. I do have a heart rythem issue

6. Not sure what you mean about short winded? but if you mean you, i can't breathe that much or hold it for long, then yes.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hydration can be huge! Had a recent stint in the hospital after the flu dropped my electrolytes and got me seriously dehydrated to the point that simply standing up would cause me do crash to the floor as my blood pressure would drop into the basement. Got me a ride in an ambulance, though.

Hydration is important.

The other is that the typical trumpet embouchure is more of a "smile" (bad description but common) than the typical horn embouchure. Phil Farkas and Adolph Herseth would sometimes swap instruments, Farkas had a real airy, wimpy sound on trumpet, and Herseth would about tear the bell of the horn, with horribly harsh tonguing.

I taught both horn and trumpet for a time in Germany, and my experience was I had to "slow down" my air with horn to sound anything like a horn player. More volume, less speed. Smaller instruments need different air.

The airy sound might come from the embouchure, but can also come from using too little rather than too much air.

Have fun, and welcome to trumpet!

3. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Does this happen when you're playing at the high end of your range, or holding and playing long phrases near the top of your range? If so, you just might be "seeing the angels"...By this I mean you might just have a temporary oxygen lack- it happens to most everyone when they are playing up in their range.

I used to get headaches when I was younger when I played high for any long period of time- it turned out in my case that after I broke my nose playing Rugby I had a partially blocked sinus where pressure would build...I got it fixed when I broke it again, playing rugby, and they set it right. Do you have any sinus problems?

4. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    it only occurs when i play high notes (well try to anyway lol)

i don't have a sinus problem

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In this case, you are really seeing the angles. This is not a good thing to have on a recurrent basis. You are working way to hard in the high range, and tightening and in so doing are doing a valsalva maneuver. If you have heart rhythm concerns, then I really have concerns with your technique, that it may harm you.

I would recommend 2 things. 1) Let your physician know this is happening to you. If s/he has not run an "event monitor" on you in the past, I would recommend doing this testing while you play your trumpet. 2) Relax on your technique. Work with your trumpet instructor on high range technique, as at this point, I would not recommend doing this on your own.

6. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Well i was told what to do now. Seems like its working so far.

Just need to work on the tone...

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Please do let me know if you experience this again. I still am truly concerned regarding the post of your symptoms.

I like the idea of working on tone as you cannot go wrong with that focus, just do not work so hard on the high range end without help from an instructor and if symptoms return, a work up by your physician.

8. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    what are you so concerned about ?

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I bet if you called around to some clinic they would take you heart rate and blood pressure after you play a difficult passage for free.. or at least really cheap. Couldn't hurt.
    It does give me an idea. I have one of those wrist dealies that does that. I might do it just for curiousity sake. I bet one could use a real time heartbeat monitor to keep tabs on their tension and improve relaxing all around...interesting

10. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    i have all the under control. No need to worry peeps