Too Much Arch?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Mar 12, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I know I have a bad habit of posting hypothesis about what I can do or something I should do to help playing, but here goes.

Today I believe I noticed that my range is cut off because I'm using too much of a tounge arch. I think I'm using it so much to where it just cuts off my throat and air when I get to certain higher notes. This may also explain the neck tension (trying to force through this small gap by too much of an arch), and how it is difficult to "blow through" my higher notes. I also notice this when I whistle were if I go to my extreme range it will eventually cut off most or all of the air from arching my tounge.
    Any thoughts?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Most all of the stuff we notice, arch included, is a symptom rather than the cause. In other words, the correct arch, aperture or whatever is the result of good playing, not the source. The source is this weird romantic ideal of "making music."

Truth from the trenches, dude.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, from what I've read on your posts I think you're losing yourself in details that you're not really equipped to understand.

When Tiger Woods is working on his golf swing, he may adjust his left pinky 1/4 of an inch when using his driver to control the elevation of his drive. That level of detail would be meaningless to most amateurs because they haven't built/earned the foundation required to get to where that change would make a difference.

Same logic applies here. Focusing on the subtleties of tongue arch as it applies to "cutting off" your range when you really don't have a good understanding or application of tongue arch is meaningless.

Focus on practicing what you go over with your teacher. That probably includes long tones, lip slurs, scales, and apreggios. Boring stuff and it doesn't yield instant results, but that's what you need to build your foundation.

Tiger Woods hit many thousands of practice balls before he ever stepped foot on a golf course.

4. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Ok thanks guys. Alot of it is probably just impatients on my part and me wanting to think that I'm at or should be at a higher level than other people and should be ready to go for more of these things that I'm just not ready for yet.

Maybe looking for a way to cure my impatients will help me more than anything else right now.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Yeah, from what I've read on your posts I think you're losing yourself in details that you're not really equipped to understand.
    ---------
    You're not using the confusion of analysis as an excuse to not play are you?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't think that you need any of this stuff. If you are breathing deeply in a relaxed way, playing your longtones and slurs, your face will most likely fall into place. If it doesn't, some professional help is in order. Self help is tough because you have no idea in advance if what you think is really what is happening. Most fail.