Too much brain in playing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BFlinch83, Nov 7, 2006.

1. BFlinch83

BFlinch83 Pianissimo User

Dec 12, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Hi Manny,

I'm having a hard time lately getting out of my own head. I'm always in analysis mode and have fulfilled the old "paralysis through analysis" saying. So, how do you suggest letting go of that bad habit? Here's what I've come up with:

-changing my goal from playing perfectly to playing musically and saying "whatever happens happens"

-stop practicing excerpts until slightly before auditions...but practice much more solo/etude rep

I need to change something because I'm really just bored with the whole thing for the time being.

Oh, and here's another question for you...how do you get out of the "playing by feel" thing and start listening and "playing by sound"?

Thanks!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    BFlinch 83,

I'm breaking the rules by breaking the silence.

"changing my goal from playing perfectly to playing musically and saying 'whatever happens happens'..." -- I'd say "no," see mistakes as feedback rather than failure -- the goal is always to play perfectly musically.

"stop practicing excerpts until slightly before auditions..." Again "no." Try practicing them while watching TV and following the dialogue and plot.

"I need to change something because I'm really just bored with the whole thing for the time being..." Maybe it isn't the "whole thing" that is boring, but rather your attitude. Embrace the boredom, the sameness -- that is the basis for consistency.

"how do you get out of the 'playing by feel' thing and start listening and 'playing by sound'?

Does your audience/audition committe/conductor care about what your physical sensations while playing are, or are they interested in the sound. We should be interested in what they are interested in.