Too Much Brain

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tptdog5, Mar 3, 2006.

1. tptdog5

tptdog5 New Friend

Mar 3, 2006
    Omaha, NE
    Hi Manny!

I'm about 6 months into my "comeback". I've spent countless hours pondering trumpet playing, both currently and in my former life, and I've come to the conclusion that I think too much. I've questioned my horn, my mouthpiece(s), my mouthpiece placement, etc. I've even considered trying one of those "alphabet" trumpet methods. All of this thinking has often lead to "paralysis by analysis."

I've done this since my college days. The best advice I was ever given was "Your body knows how to play the trumpet, so just put it (the horn) up and play". I'm not advocating that we give up on lessons or quit trying to improve, but I think this good advice for the player who overthinks - and I "think" there are many of us.

Any thoughts?

Jamie

PS. I'll post my "bio" soon.

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Jamie,

Can you get a hold of a baritone horn for a little while, like a week, no more than that? You need to get back into making music without a clue as to what to do technically. Get a baritone and have some fun with it. Then pick up your trumpet and continue making music. It'll be like getting on your bike again.

ML

3. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I tell my students all the time "you're thinking too much." You know what to do just play. If they really do it it will work almost everytime. I have done this with brass, woodwinds and strings.

Of course that doesnt' mean we dont think at all, it just means we are putting the focus on the product where it belongs not on the process. (God I am beginning to sound like one of my teachers)

4. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Until the last few weeks I thought I never over thought my playing. Then in a lesson my teacher told me I am after the questions I was asking.

I was thinking about this (lol, thinking) the last few days while lying in bed with the flu.

During practice, we should think about it and tear it down. Then in run throughs and performance just play? I guess I just answered my own question.

But it is really hard for me to not think about those things when performing, since I spent hours obsessing over them in the practice room.

Any ideas?

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yup.

Practice singing everything you play. Then, in performance, play everything you've been singing.

There's singing and there's singing.

ML

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    and then there's (c)rap!

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    This brings to mind the story of Wynton's worrys about playing. Someone told him "you can play! don't worry about it, just play!"
    If he can have those concerns I guess mortals can...........

8. trumpetpat

trumpetpat Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2005
    Maine
    i am an overthinker big time and let me tell you it does much more harm then good. take your own advice and "just play"

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Where do these stories come from?
    Ever play "Rhapsody on a Theme by Paganini?" Wynton was sweating the pianissimo entrances when he played it with the Brooklyn Orchestra. He's human.........very human :cool:
    Wilmer

10. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    It was something I read about when he went from mostly classical to jazz, it was just a human thing, he was going into new areas.