Too much Chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Aug 21, 2010.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    In general I believe in practising by playing songs that require specific skills that I want to enhance, but recently I read about using the pencil between the lips technique to strengthen muscles as well as doing "zips" going through the range of the instrument by starting with a very open embrouchure. The former I practise with a pencil at work while no one is looking, and the latter I practise with the riff from "A Night in Tunesia".

Anyway now it feels like there is too much muscle in my lip, and I can't get a decent vibration from them, and further more I can't seem to get a good seal on either.

Any suggestions. I am using a yamaha 11C4-7C. I feel like I need a larger mouth piece to fit my lips in the cup.

2. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Sounds like you're tired. Take a day off. Consider that you might be overpracticing....

bigtiny

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Doctor, it hurts when I do this...

I bet if you stopped with the pencil and "zips" (not really sure what that is) you'd find things going back to normal.

I agree that playing songs is an important part of a regular routine, but I think you still need to spend lots of time on fundamentals like long tones, lip slurs, and technical exercises.

4. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    In my opinion the technical exercises are more important for people who have to play any sheet music the band leader will throw at them.

I used to play intervals, but I found that there is a great part in the "James Bond Theme" that is more or less exactly that so...

BTW, do you know of any good songs that have lip slurs in them ;) ?

5. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    It seems that I wasn't taking care about my teeth spacing.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. In my opinion the best way to prepare yourself to be successful is to build a solid foundation.

Yes, technical exercises, scales, slurs, long tone, etc, can be boring at times, but when done diligently they are like money in the bank.

If you wait to work on double-tonguing until you get a piece that requires it, you won't be able to perform it well.

If your range tops out at high C, there's no way you'll be ready for a piece with a high E unless you've been diligent with your long tones and lip slurs.

And that tonguing and range? Those are a commodity that you'll lose if you don't use them more than on occasion when a piece requires it.

Derek Jeter doesn't have to hit a 95 mph fastball, but he regularly steps into a batting cage that throws that hard.

7. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Derek Jeter (I presume is a professional baseball player), doesn't have a day job, and last I checked probably makes alot more than most trumpet players....

8. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    The point about Derek Jeter(and yes he is a professional baseball player) is that no matter how good you think you are is that you still have to practice the fundamentals. Michael Jordan and Larry Bird for all their greatness on the basketball court, practiced the fundamentals endlessly. If the great ones have to practice fundamentals then us less great ones have to do it as well.

9. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    cajunrph, I agree with you in principle. But IMHO playing songs is fundamental, double tonguing is an advanced technique, maybe like dunking the ball vs. doing a layup. Though for Shaq dunking is probably as fundamental as it gets, I doubt he has done a layup in years and I wouldn't recommend any beginning basketball players try dunking.

I tried that tukutuku, but I am pretty sure I can get by without it.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    One thing is for sure Shaq hasn't practiced much on his free throws.