Too much Chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Aug 21, 2010.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Here is another analogy.

Riding a bike. The coordination that it takes to ride the bike is something that can't really be put together without actually trying to ride the bike. You can turn a crank with your legs or steer a tricycle, but to do them both at the same time, you have to get on the bike and ride.

2. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    I hear he has the best teacher in the league too.

3. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    And he probably practices like Alan Iverson.

4. SmoothOperator

Jul 14, 2010
    Oh, I forgot about basketball strategy. If you can't defend yourself at the line, you get hammered.

5. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Yep that is true. The beauty of playing a trumpet (or any instrument) is that thru practice a 5"9' guy can ascend to the top of the profession, while that same guy will get trampled on the basketball court. It all depends on what you can and want to put into playing the trumpet to the best of your ability. Besides there are quite a few of people who play basketball around, not many trumpet players in comparison. Practice which ever way keeps you practicing and improving.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Too much chops? Nope. Messing around with things that we do not understand? Yes.

I read so many comments about aperature, and to be honest, I think that "thinking" about the aperature does great harm, period. I see no advantage in opening the aperature for anything involved with playing the trumpet. If we have a good daily routine, the chops find the smallest, most efficient aperature without us having to invest intellectual energy.

I would drop the zips immediately into the trash and do the pencil no more than a total of 5 min./day. You do not have too much chops, you are trying body building instead of refining the fine motor activity. Great chops is perfect synchronization between body, ears, mind and soul - not face isometrics.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    bigtiny has some good points and rowuk is giving you some good advice.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

OK. I think I understand where you're at. As a casual player you may consider double-tonguing an advanced technique that you can "get by without", but in general trumpet paying terms it's something that's basic or fundamental.

Again, different strokes...

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Man ain't that the truth.

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    You would have to play much more music and of greatly varying types many, many, many times over to get same results as you would when specifically targeting areas of technique in fundamental routines.

You can in some cases "get by" without mastery of what are considered basic fundamentals (of which multiple tonguing is one), but you will always be limited by, and consequently defined by, your lack in those areas.

This may not matter to you, and we don;t know what your aspirations are, but if you have ANY aspirations of becoming a successful player, you will need these fundamentals, as well as the ability to sight read.

Listen to Rowuk, he speaks wisely.