Too much lip balm?/ chapped lips help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Roshoka, Oct 5, 2013.

1. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    That's funny. I've never had to use any balm or ointments. I know many players who have though, and swear by the stuff but these guys play with a wet embouchure, and I play totally dry. Once I set my mouthpiece it doesn't move.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND the best hydrator is the tongue... Used often... used wisely.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The applicator is expensive and high maintenance.

4. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    I believe, personally, that some of the balms are addictive, e.g., ChapStick. I don't use that anymore. These may be the ones that have a petroleum base, e.g., Vaseline. But the WalMart Vitamin E sticks do not affect me that way. I sometimes go for days without using them. I wouldn't care if you guys stopped using the Vitamin E sticks because you are driving up the prices. They used to be 97 cents, and now are a buck and a half.

During the summer I use some stuff I can find also at WalMart and elsewhere that has a 45 SPF sun screen in it. (Banana Boat) Since I spend as much time fishing and outdoors in the summer as I can, I find that stuff helps to keep my chops from burning up.

Please note the subjectivity of all my remarks. What works for me may not work for anyone else.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii

......and if they're out of tongue, try the tripe. :lol:

6. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    I use generic lip balm most everyday, I use Chopsaver after a hard session of playing but learned not to use Chopsaver before playing. I also learned that for me not to over use Chopsaver, but then that's just me.

7. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    Try this more moisture in your mouth the more on your lips. TheraBreath mouth wetting losenges. ;-)

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Doing it naturally with a citrus fruit does the trick as well. My favorite is a lime, first dipped in a gin and tonic just to make sure it is as sterile as possible.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Doctor's orders!

10. mhendricks

mhendricks Pianissimo User