Too Much Mouthpiece Pressure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumplayer123, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Trumplayer123

Trumplayer123 New Friend

Jun 9, 2009
    I am someone who uses way too much mouthpiece pressure. Now I want to address the problem seriously. What are some things I can do, that will help get the mouthpiece off my teeth? Exercises, books, anything. I want to get it so the mouthpiece is hardly touching my lips and my lip still responds easily. PLEASE COMMENT!!!!

-Trumplayer123

2. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    I can't remember which forum it was on here, but it was talking about what you are asking. If I remember correctly, it said something like It takes practice! Try to move your lips away but still able to play a note, and play as quietly as possible. I herd that it builds muscle and eventually you will be able to play like that.
    Hope this helps.

3. Trumpetman67

Trumpetman67 Piano User

Apr 11, 2009
    USA
    "Practice using as little pressure against your lips and as quietly as you can possibly play. This will strengthen your muscles and help build endurance. This mouthpiece will make your sound very bright..."

From gglassmeyer

Found it!

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Practice softly, especially lip slurs, with the mouthpiece barely making contact with your embouchure, of course don't forget long tones ,scales and arpeggios, also played softly, at first your tone will sound thin and weak , don't worry it will get bigger and louder, remember your now using muscle to hold your embouchure together not the rim of the mouthpiece ,so give these muscles a chance to develop their strength. Oh by the way, take your pinky out of the ring!

5. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I know I've said this in many different posts answering a wide variety of issues, but it will definitely help in this situation -- get something like the James Stamp Warmups book or the Thompson Buzzing Book and follow it EXACTLY. Play along with the CDs so that you can be working on intonation and equally importantly you'll play the exercises at a speed which will actually help you.

And forget the high notes for a while -- they'll come back and then some once you get your pressure situation under control.

And finally, get a good teacher who will help you solve this problem. Nothing beats working face-to-face with a good teacher who can advise you on the spot and suggest things that none of us can do because we can't see you playing.