Too much practicing??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 22, 2009.

1. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Okay i am a perfectionist when it comes to trumpet playing nd it normally hurts me in someway. i have over done it so bad that i have had to miss two auditions because i couldnt play. well lets just say that my band director at this point tells me not to bring home my trumpet so that i dont practice. Turns out on saturday i practiced for well over nine hours. That is a shocker considering i am a freshman girl. i dont know how i practiced that long but the only thing that stopped me was it was eleven o'clock nd we live in a condominium building :shock:. Well now its the next day and i am going insane. my chops are fine but over the last twenty-four hours i have drank one gallon of water is this a result of my trumpet playing? i am still thirsty this has never happened before anybody have any answers?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    You know you are overdoing it, so why not just wise up and moderate your practice. Missing auditions should tell you something, although I suspect you sabotaged yourself unintentionally in order to not have to go face the pressure of auditioning. You need to take a good look at that and be honest with yourself when you do it.

Impatience is a hallmark of trumpet players, and now is the time to realize that being more deliberate will get you further in the long run. It is OK to be an over-achiever, but it can become an obsession, which is not healthy. Better to practice one hour really focusing on what you are doing, then to play 9 hours - it simply is not possible to stay in the groove for that long.

Enough of the lecture. When you are practicing drink lots of water - before, during, and after. 4-8 oz each time. Proper hydration is critical for any athletic endeavor and playing trumpet is a physical workout. Get enough sleep, eat right, and drink lots of water. Your kidneys will thank you, too. You are thirsty now because you dehydrated yourself with too much practicing and not enough water around doing it.

veery

3. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    9 hours? I think that is hurting your playing more than you are benefiting.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi.

I'm sure others will chime in. But definitely, yes. A person can practice too much. I like what Clarke says in his first technical study that your lips should "always be fresh and under control" and liken it to how "three drops of medicine ... will cure, whereas a spoonful will kill."

Drinking 3 gallons of water is unusual, even over 24 hours. Also, for what it's worth, 3 gallons of water can be enough to cause an imbalance in your body's electrolytes. Maybe not for an otherwise-healthy high school freshman, but it's something to consider. This is why atheletes drink gatorade (or something like it) when then need to drink lots of fuilds.

In your case, I suppose it might be explained by the fact that you didn't eat or drink for the prior 9 hours while your were practicing, and were a bit dehydrated. So if this was a one-time thing, then it's probably nothing. However, if you still feel that you can't quench your thirst with a normal amount of fluids, if you are urinating a lot, if it burns when you urinate, if you feel dizzy or lightheaded, if you are on medication for chronic conditions (like diabetes), or if you have other unusual symptoms, then you should call your doctor today.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    i think the thing that got me was my tone never started to get bad, it sounded the same from the beginning till the end. i took a twenty minute break every hour and during that time drank plenty of water, like one fourteen ounce glass at least. And when it comes to the amount of time that i practiced, at first i thought it was like three or four hours, then i looked at my phone, lo nd behold it was a lot longer. I get very into my playing. Its more the factor i love playing and cant stop, then the fact i want to get my scales perfect. My lips dont hurt at all and i finally took a sip of gatorade and realised that i just needed some vitamins nd nutrionally rich liquid to get myself back into check.
    TrumpetMD nothing hurts at all, it was just that i was constantly thirsty, i did rehydrate every twenty minutes and even inbetween scales i would sip water. It must have been some rare thing that occured. Im good now though, so thanks everybody for the advice.

Also i think that next time a timer may be needed to keep myself from getting too into my trumpet. I literally am addicted to that sound and feel you get from playing

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  6. ejohnson91

ejohnson91 New Friend

Mar 17, 2009
    Take it easy, you have the rest of your life to practice. No one is expecting you to nail every scale in one day. IMO practicing for more than a couple hours a day will do more harm than good to your chops. I love playing my trumpet as much as the next person but I know that I need to take it easy so I don't damage any lip muscles.

7. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    From what you have said about rehydrating with 8-14 ounces of water does not make me think that you are dehydrated. Take it from a diabetic and go get your sugar checked by the doctor. Diabetes is nothing to mess with.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    s.coomer,
    i dont think i have diabetes, no one in my family has it and i am an athelete so i dont see how i could acquire it

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    RHS,

You don't have to inherit diabetes, and fitness won't stop it if it is in your cards. If you don't have a continuing thirst problem, that is if the one time is isolated, don't worry. If it repeats, ask your doctor.
    And what did you eat? Anything with lots of salt? Sometimes you can't really taste the salt and there is too much.
    v

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    RHSBBMB,
    a couple of things come to mind:
    how does one PRACTICE for 9 hours and not notice when enough is enough? If there is some kind of psychological compensation for other things in your life, you need to seriously look at the big picture. An internet forum is surely not the place to go into analysis. I think that 4-5 hours of REAL practice per day should cover ANY agenda, pro or otherwize. That is also the key - start practicing with an agenda. A set amount of things to reasonably accomplish instead of open end something.........

As far as drinking too much, I also have days with more than a gallon of water a day.