Too much practicing??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 22, 2009.

1. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I think it's reasonable to say that you will not be practicing 9 hours EVERYday, considering that you probably have school, right? As others have said, you probably shouldn't practice that much, but if you ever have that much time to kill, give your chops a rest and try these ear training tools: IWasDoingAllRight - Ear training song randomizer for playing by ear
    IWasDoingAllRight - Free online ear training tool
    With enough practice on these, you will be able to play melodies on command(with a lot of practice, of course, but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem here).

2. kayakdadj

kayakdadj New Friend

Feb 14, 2009
    spirit? do a lot of folks have drum corp. experience here ?
    Royall Crusaders of Findleyville Pa 1975 to 1976 lead soprano was my time with drum corp been trying to find any recordings of the crusaders from then this should be in a different thread:play:

3. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    are you trying to ask me if I know of any recordings
    I don't understand your question or statement

sorry

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    1)Read Wynton Marsalis site on Practice Routines
    2)You know you're doing wrong by playing that long.
    3)If the thirst continues, have your parents take you to your physican and explain to him your symptoms.
    4)Practice a "reasonable" amount of time, then, put the trumpet away and Go have fun!!!

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    the thirst went away a while back, and sadly considering i am one of the biggest band nerds ever trumpet is my fun :D

6. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    I am a freshman as well at my school and I too am considered the biggest band nerd, even more than a lot of seniors. What I usually do is play low and pedal tones for about 5 minutes. Then I play up to an E (4th space) and hold it for 8 counts at whatever speed. Then I proceed to slur up from Low F sharp all the way up to however I can at that time. Then I do the same thing and go up the fingerings in order. I find that it helps my lips feel good for playing and at the same time it will also help my endurance, flexibility, and range. My usual practice routine is about 45-60 minutes but you just need to practice a routine that works for you. I can tell you from experience that a good practice routine is greatly beneficial. At the beginning of marching season I was barely able to squeak a High C. Now I am able to nail an E above high C. Of course saying that I also run every day for 15-20 minutes. So good luck in finding a practice routine that fits you.:play:

7. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Well, playing for 9 hours may be a lot, but it is not beneficial to your playing. Nine hours of playing is more detrimental and less effective than 3 hours of dedicated, structured, focused practicing. As Rowuk says, 5 hours is enough for anyone who can do that in an efficient manner.
    I usually have a bottle of water with me on a gig or in a session or rehearsal, and do occasionally drink while practicing. I also stay very well hydrated as a result of my athletic training as well. Hydration and staying well-rested and warmed up to play are essential to maintaining your chops. Marathon practice sessions are not good for you, and can, as you well know, actually harm your playing.

8. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    my high range isn't too shabby my high C is clear, and i hit the G above that with no pressure against my lips just relaxed playing

9. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    You can hit a G above C above the staff with no pressure at at all after practicing for 9 hours straight?:shock:

10. RHSbigbluemarchingband

Jan 17, 2009
    yeah my endurance when it comes to playing is very high, no pain, and in general i find playing up high very easy, no pressure at all is needed all i do is shoot the air down my mouthpiece as fast as i can and the notes come out nice and clean