Too much practicing??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by RHSbigbluemarchingband, Mar 22, 2009.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    A freshman in high school who plays G above high C with no pressure? I assume that you're playing lead/solo parts with your band. Any clips on Youtube?

2. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    If you rest as much as you practice you'll be in good shape and play as many hours as you enjoy.

It is probably best to play 20-30 minutes(resting appropriately during those 20 minutes). After that take a break and come back later. This will keep both your mind and your chops fresh.

Sometimes to achieve extraordinary results you have to do what others will not....I congratulate you in your discipline to practice so much and desire great results!

3. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    Is your Band director Mr. Jensen? I know him from a marching band/wind ensemble.

4. tajmonick

tajmonick New Friend

Mar 18, 2009
    Gainesville, GA
    I agree with Talcito. I knew a girl in HS who was obsessed with practicing too and it ruined her tone, making her very stiff...as that is how she practiced. I think that practicing is great but that's a bit much.

5. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    umm my band director is mr. bialkin, very good trombone player and great at teaching trumpet aswell

and as for the whole lead part, there is a junior in our school that we like to call the god nd he can play way over my range so considering seniority and all he gets the solos, i dont mind though i get too nervous when it comes to solos i prefer playing main parts

6. sonarerocks

sonarerocks Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2009
    Omaha NE
    It is one thing if you're a student at Julliard practicing 9 hours a day, it's one thing if your a very good high school trumpeter playing for 4-5 hours a day but 9 hours as a freshman in high school is just too much, take a break!

7. TheSlur

TheSlur New Friend

Feb 22, 2009
    It almost makes me wonder what life would have been like before I got braces. In eighth grade, I could hit a F no problem. Then along came the orthodontist. Oh well. All I have to say is keep up the good work and keep practicing to be a "god" at the trumpet:play: