Too Much Pressure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cmathis, Aug 21, 2010.

1. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    I posted this on another thread hope this helps.

I took lessons from a guy who played first chair in the LA Philharmonic.
    He had me NOT grasp the horn.
    Left hand was straight out only using that hand to support the horn NOT holding it at ALL.
    Right hand I could only use the thumb to hold up the leadpipe,Pinky was NOT to be used in anyway,fingering had to be light cause you couldnt do anything else.

2. Trumpeter114

Trumpeter114 New Friend

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm a player with braces going into my fourth year of playing, and I think I have a pressure problem, too. I practise daily but often have to cut out during concerts at school! (baaad...I know. It's /extremely/ frustrating because I'm a really dedicated player and can definitely play all the parts...just not song after song after song.)

I'm first trumpet in concert band and second in orchestra, and these higher notes are definitely encouraging the pressure. I decided that this year, though, I would put an end to it. I always pay VERY careful attention to my corners on the warm-up, but once I start going higher in the songs sometimes the pressure creeps back in.

The thing is, though, after I practise and such and realize that I need to cool it with the pressure, I often find that the sound becomes very grainy...almost like there's too much spit in the slide. I really want to bounce back and get a good endurance (I'm now in concert, jazz, and orchestra... this pressure HAS to stop!). I'm a pretty busy person, but can anyone give me a more understandable (hehe...I'm not so good when people say "Play a G scale at the __ note up to the fourth last and reverse back") exercise to solve this? Thank you!!! It's really appreciated. :p

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It's not about any specific exercise but overall training. I would find a good teacher who has a proven track record of helping students. As I said in an earlier post it's about overall good playing habits. Addressing only pressure is treating the sympton. When you learn to play with good playing habits and develop your embouchure pressure becomes a non issue.

Saying it another way - too much pressure is a result of bad playing habits

4. Trumpeter114

Trumpeter114 New Friend

Sep 8, 2010
    Mhmm. I'm hoping to get lessons with an in-school teacher, but that would have to be a) when he comes, and b) when the money's right. xP

I really wish those habits would've been implemented in me when I first started playing. Luckily posture and dynamics and such were, but just not that. Are there any exercises I could do on my own? And how often?

Sorry for all the questions. I really, really love playing the trumpet...but I feel so "squashed" now. I'm glad I know what the problem is, but...a year to fix?? Will getting my braces off within the next couple of months help?

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    One exercise that can help a little are soft long tones in an easy register. If you need some written out contact me at my e mail. I'll send them out. Is the teacher an experienced trumpet player/teacher?

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    In the old days teachers used to tell their students to "chase" the horn. What they meant was you should have the feeling of just touching the mouthpiece, not pushing it into lips. If you can get this feeling while practicing your soft long tones,lip slurs ,scales etc. it might help you to eliminate excessive pressure in rehearsals and performances.

7. Trumpeter114

Trumpeter114 New Friend

Sep 8, 2010
    Thanks sooo much, both of you!

Bob - I will be sure to email you! Sometimes having the stuff written out for me to access whenever I need it is really helpful :) I'm also going to ask my band teacher if he can recommend anything about this (he played the euphonium). There was an in-school trumpet teacher last year...but I'm not so sure if I could afford him if he came back. D: I'm going to band camp with professional musicians this Friday, as well... I'll ask around there, as well.

Al - Ahh, yep! That's what I've been trying to do :] I feel like I'm giving my trumpet a "light kiss", if you will. (So...I guess I shouldn't be doing anything too passionate! lol)